• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tale of 8x32s ~ an enthusiast's celebratory exclamation (1 Viewer)

ZDHart

United States
No earth-shattering news here, folks. This is merely an enthusiast's celebratory exclamation over the Leica 8x32 UVHD Plus.

I had a pair of these, for a short while, numerous weeks ago, and regretfully returned them in favor of keeping a different pair of alpha bins. Ever since returning them, I have missed having them! And while I also have the twin sister UVHD+ in 10x32, I still yearned for the 8x32 version.

I corrected my error. The 8x32s arrived today. I used them viewing wildlife all afternoon, and could not be more thrilled with having them!

51580461435_63c06afb47_h.jpg

The barrels fill the palms wonderfully, without being overly bulky. The armor feel and "stiction" are second to none.
51579780553_e0a219408a_h.jpg

As you can see, they're compact. Fairly lightweight, too. But quite ample enough in size and weight to avoid the compromises involved with smaller, lighter binoculars. And, they feel like they were built by Rolls Royce - incredibly dense/solid feeling - quite substantial in feel.

Regarding performance - as I compare these to other late-model alpha binoculars that I have (Zeiss, Leica, and Swarovski NLs which I recently had), they leave absolutely nothing to be desired. They deliver absolutely razor sharp clarity, rich color quality, and punchy contrast, along with mechanical build and materials quality that is unsurpassed. These exhibit the finest build quality I have experienced from Zeiss SF, Swarovski NL and CL, and Leica.

Thank you, Leica, for creating the UVHD+ line of binoculars! I could not be more pleased. These are more than worth the $2100 asking price, and even at that, they seem somewhat of a bargain, compared to the pricing of the Johnny-come-lately alpha models on today's market.

I've been through a good number and variety of binoculars (8x32 Conquest HD, 10x42 conquest HD, 8x32 Terra HD, 10x42 SF, 10x32 SF, 8x32 SF, 7x42 UVHD+, 10x32 UVHD+, 8x32 UVHD+, Pocket CL 8x25, Pocket CL 8x10, Trinovid 8x20, and a few more!), on my way to arriving at these. With the exception of three of those, I'm still using this collection of bins. It's been a very interesting, educational, and enjoyable journey, for sure. Though not an inexpensive one. But... it is so well worth arriving at this destination!

If you may be considering a compact pair of 8x32 or 10x32 binoculars, I can wholeheartedly recommend the Leica UVHD+ models to your consideration - they are absolutely top-of-the-mark! I will cherish using these until my eyes will no longer allow.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Interesting physical comparison to another excellent pair of binoculars, the 8x32 SF. Wow, what a difference in form factor. Optically, I find them neck-and-neck in performance.

51580224804_ae59f342e7_h.jpg

I quite appreciate the SFs, as well, in 8x32, 10x32, and 10x42. But the compact Leicas have stolen my heart. Such superb optical performance, wrapped up in this wonderfully compact form factor is quite impressive. I've also learned, over time, that I could be perfectly content without my three x42 bins, wonderful as they are. The 32mm objective format seems to suit my needs and interests ideally.

Last edited:
We all know that the UVHD+ are not the "latest" line of premium alpha bins brought to market. And therefore, they are not on the top of the current "interest heap" - they are not "new".

But while these UVHD+ models may not receive a lot of the hoopla associated with the "newest" formulations to hit the market... they suffer not in comparison with any other option available to man - in my personal experience.

I tried my best to evaluate, just from a simple "user" experience, the Zeiss 8x32 SF, Swarovski 8x32 NL, and Leica 8x32 UVHD+. Owned them all for at least a short period of time. Gave them all my extended, personally owned, closely compared, consideration.

My conclusion is that these three are all quite comparable, optically. The differences in user's optical experience is not significant. While each may differ optically, in minor ways, in this aspect or that... all in all, they are all at the top of the heap with regard to optical quality of "view".

Where they differed quite substantially, in my experience, was in form factor, feel in the hand, and ergonomics. None were poor, in that regard. But my preference clearly came down to preferring Leica UVHD+ and Zeiss SF. It was the pinched-waist, slick-feel of the NL barrels and armor that positioned the Swaros, in my view, in third place. Optically - they all were quite exceptionally pleasing!

If you are perfectly pleased with any of these three options, once you have lived with them for at least a few days... you are GOLDEN! None are anywhere CLOSE to being a poor choice! (How could they be, given their prices?)

The only option I did not evaluate is the Leica Noctivid, as they don't make one -yet- in the 32mm objective format.

We are quite fortunate, are we not? Given how wonderful these alpha options, available to us, are? This is truly the GOLDEN age of optics!

Last edited:
The 8x32s arrived today. I used them viewing wildlife all afternoon, and could not be more thrilled with having them!

Thank you, Leica, for creating the UVHD+ line of binoculars! I could not be more pleased. These are more than worth the $2100 asking price, and even at that, they seem somewhat of a bargain...
If I'd seen this thread before deciding to buy a set of 8x32 HD+ a few weeks back it may have given me more confidence in making the leap , but just reading through it for the first time just now, I feel even more justified in making the purchase. My absolute favorite.

ZD post #1 talks about the rolls Royce feel and build quality of the UVHD that I fully agree with. The build quality, material and dense feel give it that rich, well built feeling.

Just wanted to add that the Noctivids take that to the next level. Still very dense, great feeling, similar rubberized exterior to the UV, except richer in feel. Better and more comfortable eye box, excellent eye cups and a focuser to die for. The focuser is probably the best on the market. Some like to call or say the Noctivds are the third best binoculars optically on the market. That might be so and can be debated, but they are second to none in build quality. As far as Iโ€™m concerned they are number 1 in quality of feel and manufacture. I doubt anybody will pick these up and say the NL or SF is built better, and thatโ€™s coming from a Swarovski fan boy.

Paul.

...the Noctivids take that to the next level. Still very dense, great feeling, similar rubberized exterior to the UV, except richer in feel. Better and more comfortable eye box, excellent eye cups and a focuser to die for. The focuser is probably the best on the market...second to none in build quality. As far as Iโ€™m concerned they are number 1 in quality of feel and manufacture.
Please tell Leica to make some competitive models in smaller sizes. I choose a 6x or 7x Noctivid. (Holding my breath.)

Please tell Leica to make some competitive models in smaller sizes. I choose a 6x or 7x Noctivid. (Holding my breath.)
Ok, Done. They said look for release date of the 6x35 , 7x40 , 8 and 10 32โ€™s coming this spring ๐Ÿคช๐Ÿคญ.

If that happens Iโ€™d have to be in discussion with my attorney who gets the dog in the divorce. ๐Ÿ˜

Paul

Just got done freezing my fingers off. Another one of those less than technical observational posts, that we all love so much ๐Ÿค”

Was observing with Zeiss SF, Swarovski NL and the Leica noctivid, all in 8x42. Had the 8x32UV+ and 7x35 retros on hand just for shits and giggles.

The image through the Zeiss and Swarovski are very bright and sharp almost all the way to the field stop. When you look through these two youโ€™re amazed at the quality of the image. These two look fantastic , such a beautiful clear image. As well it should be with the top of the line.

The Noctivids on the other hand, just take your breath away. Different from the other two.

When you take a technical ruler to it, FOV, sharpness, brightness , light transmission and color bias, the Zeiss & Swaro win on paper. When I put them to my eyes, the Leica clearly wins. Or should I say, is more preferable to me, or a more pleasing image of the three.

I leave it to others with more technical knowledge than I, but I find it hard to believe that its just color rendition that makes the Leica image the image so special.
Could it be optical design, glass combinations and materials as well as coatings, all combined to bring about that fabulous image ?

A few here have said, way too much CA in the Nocs. I donโ€™t get that, Iโ€™m overly sensitive to CA , and although I can pick it out, itโ€™s almost nonexistent on axis in 90% of lighting condition. In any event itโ€™s certainly does not detract from the image.

When we talk about CA, I donโ€™t think there are any other binoculars on the market today, other than the Kowa Genesis that are on the level of CA correction of these three.

Thank you
Paul

Just got done freezing my fingers off. Another one of those less than technical observational posts, that we all love so much ๐Ÿค”

Was observing with Zeiss SF, Swarovski NL and the Leica noctivid, all in 8x42. Had the 8x32UV+ and 7x35 retros on hand just for shits and giggles.

The image through the Zeiss and Swarovski are very bright and sharp almost all the way to the field stop. When you look through these two youโ€™re amazed at the quality of the image. These two look fantastic , such a beautiful clear image. As well it should be with the top of the line.

The Noctivids on the other hand, just take your breath away. Different from the other two.

When you take a technical ruler to it, FOV, sharpness, brightness , light transmission and color bias, the Zeiss & Swaro win on paper. When I put them to my eyes, the Leica clearly wins. Or should I say, is more preferable to me, or a more pleasing image of the three.

I leave it to others with more technical knowledge than I, but I find it hard to believe that its just color rendition that makes the Leica image the image so special.
Could it be optical design, glass combinations and materials as well as coatings, all combined to bring about that fabulous image ?

A few here have said, way too much CA in the Nocs. I donโ€™t get that, Iโ€™m overly sensitive to CA , and although I can pick it out, itโ€™s almost nonexistent on axis in 90% of lighting condition. In any event itโ€™s certainly does not detract from the image.

When we talk about CA, I donโ€™t think there are any other binoculars on the market today, other than the Kowa Genesis that are on the level of CA correction of these three.

Thank you
Paul
And did you, just for fun, swap in the UV32's or Retro35's?

And did you, just for fun, swap in the UV32's or Retro35's?
I did. Eye box better, more comfortable in the retros. UVโ€™s sharper, better edge. But not much difference between the two. Interesting thing that I havenโ€™t noticed before between the two, and it surprised me today, is the 8x32 seemed just as stable, if not more so than the 7x35. Because of that, I want to spend some time with just those two. To be perfectly honest I donโ€™t notice much of a difference between 7x and 8x in magnification or stability. I have a 7x42 UVHD on the way, I hope Iโ€™m not disappointed. Iโ€™ve read so many good things about there manner.

As far as comparing the 42โ€™s to the 32 & 35, itโ€™s just different in respect to the handling and seems to pop a little more in 42โ€™s. Also a little brighter. Without side by side comparison in good lighting or bad, you really canโ€™t tell much of a difference, it so close. Assuming weโ€™re talking about comparing same brand , same magnification, just different objective size.

Ya know, I go back and forth, day to day trying to nail down, do I like the 32โ€™s or 42โ€™s. Thereโ€™s more comfort with the 42โ€™s (eye box) but after an hour two I trade off for lighter ,easier to hold 32โ€™s.

Paul

I have a 7x42 UVHD on the way, I hope Iโ€™m not disappointed. Iโ€™ve read so many good things about there manner.

Ya know, I go back and forth, day to day trying to nail down, do I like the 32โ€™s or 42โ€™s. Thereโ€™s more comfort with the 42โ€™s (eye box) but after an hour two I trade off for lighter ,easier to hold 32โ€™s.

Paul
Hi Paul... glad to hear that you ordered up the 7x42 UVHD+. I think you're going to love them. They have a special combination of wonderful ingredients.

As for picking favorites and favorite objective size... I go around and around through my variety of binoculars and the favorite seems to always turn out to be whichever one I have in my hand at the moment - they're all great and quite enjoyable. And like you, I pay more attention to feel and view to the eyes than I do to paper specifications. Works for me. :)

Hi Paul... glad to hear that you ordered up the 7x42 UVHD+. I think you're going to love them. They have a special combination of wonderful ingredients.

As for picking favorites and favorite objective size... I go around and around through my variety of binoculars and the favorite seems to always turn out to be whichever one I have in my hand at the moment - they're all great and quite enjoyable. And like you, I pay more attention to feel and view to the eyes than I do to paper specifications. Works for me. :)
You mustโ€™ve been a writer in another life ๐Ÿ˜ƒ, you have a way with verbiage and delivery. Thanks for The encouragement on the future 7x42โ€™s. Part of my enthusiasm for that model was some of your posts. So I thank you. As you had said so eloquently I have really been throwing out the paper, and getting over all the specs. Just going out and enjoying the feel and the image of the optics. And not laboring over the field of view numbers and flat field and so on. I had a great time today in the freezing cold and windy conditions just looking through the different optics and not measuring anything.

Ill let you know how I like the 7โ€™s them next week.
Thank you

Hey ,you get the Beemer yet?

Paul

I always thought the trinovid ba/bn 8x32 was a beautiful piece of optical engineering, the build quality alone always inspired confidence and never felt I had to coddle them or be over protective with them..Iโ€™ve never forgotten the wow moment of using the 8x32 trinovid ba for the first time watching a flock of starlings feeding in a stubble field near my home, amazing colours and micro contrast..sold them on here a good few years ago I might just scroll through the classifieds just for the sake of meloncholly!!

Iโ€™ve tried the current ultravid on a couple of occasions, liked it immensely but never pulled the trigger.

Matt

Hey ,you get the Beemer yet?

Paul
The model I ordered is a special one (as you know), and they allocated to each dealership in the world by about only one a month!

Unfortunately, there were THREE people ahead of me with orders for that particular model, at my dealership. Thus, I must, daily, re-boost and fortify my level of patience, in earnest!!! :rolleyes:

The model I ordered is a special one (as you know), and they allocated to each dealership in the world by about only one a month!

Unfortunately, there were THREE people ahead of me with orders for that particular model, at my dealership. Thus, I must, daily, re-boost and fortify my level of patience, in earnest!!! :rolleyes:
Bummer on the beemer ๐Ÿ™. Wait it out , I know itโ€™s worth the wait. Or Iโ€™m sure you already may have considered a 100+ mile radius search. I know guys who bought cars they wanted site unseen in different states, flew in , in the morning and drove it home in afternoon. I found what I wanted about 100 miles away from my home just over the border in New Jersey. You could bring a few binoculars with you and stop at scenic roots on the way home๐Ÿ˜œ.

Good luck with the search. I have a feeling that you probably know better than I, that the Journey is sometimes better than the destination. ๐Ÿ˜

Paul

Bummer on the beemer ๐Ÿ™. Wait it out , I know itโ€™s worth the wait. Or Iโ€™m sure you already may have considered a 100+ mile radius search. I know guys who bought cars they wanted site unseen in different states, flew in , in the morning and drove it home in afternoon. I found what I wanted about 100 miles away from my home just over the border in New Jersey. You could bring a few binoculars with you and stop at scenic roots on the way home๐Ÿ˜œ.

Good luck with the search. I have a feeling that you probably know better than I, that the Journey is sometimes better than the destination. ๐Ÿ˜

Paul
The journey is indeed the richness! After the destination, the new journey begins.

32mm Binos are awesome. I love my 10x32 NL Pure. Never looked through the Leica and Zeiss, but in Comparison the 10x32 NL Pure with the 10x32 EL is a big step in field of view and Clearity. Eyebox is with the forehead Rest perfekt!

32mm Binos are awesome. I love my 10x32 NL Pure. Never looked through the Leica and Zeiss, but in Comparison the 10x32 NL Pure with the 10x32 EL is a big step in field of view and Clearity. Eyebox is with the forehead Rest perfekt!
I agree with your sentiment regarding 32mm binoculars, and as a glasses wearer I am super jealous of UV HD+ 32mm owners, but the lack of eye relief makes them a non starter.

But, I am a fellow NL Pure 10x32 owner, as well as owning some Field Pro EL 8x32's, and whilst I believe the optics and focus mechanism may be a step up from the EL, I don't find that they handle better, the opposite in fact.

And regarding the forehead rest, at first I bought into the concept and really felt that it was a thing, and that it worked, but once I began swapping between my NL's and EL's I started to find it annoying, unnatural, and I've now ditched it, and retrospectively wonder if it really made a difference. If the NL Pure's were still the only binoculars I use, I would probably have left it on, but for sure I'm happier now without it.

Anyway, that discussion is for a different thread...

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back