• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tales of a Frosty Birder with a Shrunken List! (1 Viewer)

brianfm

Botanical Birder
Yes that is correct, it is shrunken because of the cold spell! I have yet to get off patch in 2010. I know, I lead such a sheltered life. It is sooo unfair. However that doesn’t mean things have passed me by altogether and I have had some interesting days so far in 2010 during one of the bleakest winters I can remember.

1st Jan 2010. Despite the white out, I managed my annual New Year walk on patch and in fact the newly fallen snow made for an easier trudge. With the snow shoes having been sent to the cobblers I had to make do with my boots! I’m wondering how many people have this first day of 2010 questioned the idea of global warming. My first foot in the garden was a Starling, followed quickly by Robin and Blackbird and once I had left the garden behind I have to say I didn’t see too much birdlife around the village area. I think there were as many snowmen (or should this be snowpersons in this age of sexual equality?) as birds around here. I photographed one particular smart looking snowman who seemed jolly enough, but lacked much in interpersonal skills. As I was admiring this gent a Sparrowhawk flew over the tree line. The only other bird life seen was corvids and Woodpigeons, so I thought it best to make for the lake.

Despite a bit of a thaw having set in, I can’t remember seeing the patch in such snow cover for many years. The smaller lake was a complete whiteout with only a couple of Black Headed Gulls flying over. Much of the larger lake was the same with a layer of snow lying on the ice. The birds had gathered at the far end of the lake where the ice had been broken and judging by the rising flocks were being well fed by passers by. Once I reached that end of the lake I found the mass collection of birds consisted of the following species, Mute Swan, Greylag Goose, Canada Geese, Mallard, Pochard, Tufted Duck, Coot, Moorhen, Black Headed Gull, Common Gull and Herring Gull. The occasional Magpie flew overhead. It seems that the Goosanders have been forced to leave. I couldn’t find any Goldeneye either.

As the light started to dim large flocks of Wood Pigeon and smaller flocks of corvid, many of them calling Jackdaws, flew towards the roosting areas in the park. It was quite atmospheric as I watched them fly over as several Mute Swans flew back and forth across the frozen lake below them. A Mute Swan left a trail in the snow as it landed and remained as a lonely looking figure on the snow and ice. As I made for home a small flock of Goldfinch appeared, the same flock perhaps that I had seen on the last day of 2009.

Well not many birds to add to my list, but I may add some more tomorrow as I am due to lead a walk around the patch. I wonder if anyone will turn up. Certainly looks like another cold night ahead.

More to come.

Attachments

• IMG_1073.JPG
    IMG_1073.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1081.JPG
    IMG_1081.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1087.JPG
    IMG_1087.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1090.JPG
    IMG_1090.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1082.JPG
    IMG_1082.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 12
2nd Jan. Despite earlier doubts my local walk on patch went ahead today and seven magnificent people participated including, I’m happy to say, Brian R. It’s a good job I got out of bed this morning. Conditions were far from ideal, but we made the most of it and despite at times a biting wind cropping up, snow stinging the eyes and bins steaming up, during most of the walk it wasn’t too bad at all.

We started by repeating my walk of yesterday around the frozen lake. Goldeneye (two female and a male) and a single female Goosander which took to the air as we watched were additions to the birds seen yesterday. The other birds were Mute Swan, Canada Geese, Greylag Geese (2), Mallard, Pochard (2), Tufted Duck, Coot, Moorhen, Black Headed Gull, Common Gull and Herring Gull. We spotted a juvenile Mute Swan which appeared to be stuck in the ice, but once we got near it we found that it was simply weak and exhausted. Unsuccessful attempts were being made to break the ice around it to allow it to reach water, but this had proven impossible such was the thickness and strength of the ice. Someone called the RSPCA and I hope the swan was rescued, but in my mind it looked in a real bad way so I’m none too hopeful. You would have to be pretty hard not to find such situations distressing I reckon.

The walk continued passed the snow covered lakes and across the fields to the village area with little in the way of birds to be seen apart from Mistle Thrush. Of course there were numerous flocks of Wood Pigeon and Magpie, Jackdaw, Rook and Carrion Crow were with us throughout the walk. A small number of Redwings were seen in the village. Now how did I miss those? Otherwise it was Blackbird, Robin and Wren. A usually quite productive area to the rear of the village was dead. I adopted my usual approach at this point and began to tell people what I often seen on better days and assume they believe me. We did find the odd Pheasant. There were no winter thrushes in the fields. At this point the magnificent seven became the magnificent four as some participants gave up in the wind and snow shower.

I wasn’t enjoying this wind too much myself, but happily we were soon out of it and the rest of the walk except for a very short spell was completed in rather calm and sheltered conditions. A short diversion down the track brought us nothing of interest. I did mention it was a good area for Bullfinch and thankfully one turned up on que. As we made for the waggonyways a flock of 15 Goosanders flew overhead making up for having seen only one on the lake.

Walking along the waggonway was also non productive and I could only dream of last years sightings of Short Eared Owls here. As we knew the flash would be frozen we retraced our steps and made back towards Killingworth centre. A lack of birds made for some chat and a few laughs and a sudden interest in Wood Pigeons as we remarked on their attractiveness. Collared Doves were seen on a few occasions. The bird list was slowly growing however and there was growing numbers of Great Tit and Blue Tit. Near the farm we found a few Fieldfare in the hedgerow and this time a pair of Bullfinches. A little further on a couple of Song Thrushes were found and growing numbers of tits, Chaffinch and Greenfinch with the odd House Sparrow and Dunnock. In relative terms this was quite a birding hot spot for the day and a good way to bring our walk to a close. I took a photo of three of the magnificent four. I’m behind the camera of course! We ended the day with a list of 35 species and I mustn’t forget the Stoat that ran across out path. I had enjoyed my few hours out and it was so calm now I was able to have a cuppa from the flask. Everyone seemed content as we parted company. Thanks to those who came out in such conditions. Medals are in the post for those who completed the course!

Three of the four who completed the course proudly await their medals below!

More to come

Attachments

• IMG_1092.JPG
    IMG_1092.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 34
3rd Jan. It’s only the 3rd day of the year I know, but I felt I needed a rest so having taken delivery of my BNE calendar (and a very nice one it is too) from the postman, and cleared the front path before the next fall of snow, and it appears that there are going to be several more falls this week, I sat back and watched Leeds beat Man United (I like neither team, but tis good to see the smile wiped off Fergusson’s mug). In between the tackles I kept a watch on the garden birds, more so than I have done for sometime. I was hoping for something a bit different in the garden, but that wasn’t to be and in fact early on the birds seemed reluctant to come down too the feeders, but that soon changed and everything has been cleared now.

The birds I saw from my chair, granted they did not all land in my miniature garden were in no particular order Great Tit, Coal Tit, Blue Tit, Long Tailed Tit (1 passing through), Chaffinch, Robin, Mistle Thrush, Blackbird, Dunnock, Starling, Wood Pigeon, Collared Dove, Magpie, Rook, Carrion Crow, House Sparrow and Black Headed Gull. When I removed myself to upstairs and looked out of the window I found I had timed my move to perfection just in time to catch a Sparrowhawk overhead being harassed by a crow. The hawk flew off so the garden birds were safe for the time being. Coal Tit and Long Tailed Tit were new for the year so I don’t feel I’ve wasted the day except for watching the football perhaps!
The next snow shower is already beginning to show in the air. When I went to look at the sky I found there had been a wonderful sunset which looked to have set the sky on fire. I managed to catch the end of it from the front door. I’m off to fix my calendar up in prime spot. If this weather keeps up I may be forced to start writing about my resolutions and hopes for 2010!

Attachments

• IMG_1093.JPG
    IMG_1093.JPG
    122.7 KB · Views: 18
6th Jan. As the mini ice age continues and shows no sign of retreat, I thought I would take a walk to the village and a little way beyond after I had watched the classic soap opera Neighbours. I wasn’t expecting much birdlife to be about but thought I might capture some decent snow scenes. Perhaps I had left it a little late for good views of the snow and maybe I need to be up and out early one morning.

One thing the walk did bring me was the Redwings I had missed out on at the weekend. They were feeding on the same berries as were the Blackbirds. The Redwings were my first of the year. I decided to walk along to the wagon way that runs down to the ........ Road and I slowly walked down the deeply snow covered track. As expected there were few birds about and I decided to skip walking into the fields through very deep snow. Several ‘off school’ youngsters were sledging down the bank. I resisted the temptation of asking if I could have a go and telling hem that when I was a lad the snow used to come up to your neck. The fields between the wagon way and ......... were an untouched blanket of snow which appeared to lack any sign of life.
As I retraced my steps it began to snow again and this helped give the sky and lowering sun a very good effect. I stopped to take some photos and as I stood there a Woodcock flew low above my head. Great to have a new patch bird for the list so early in the year. I had been a bit envious of other peoples Woodcock sightings. As I watched the sun slip behind cloud another Woodcock, or perhaps the same bird retracing its flight, flew in the opposite direction than my first sighting, this one giving an even better view. The short walk had been well worth the effort. As I walked home I watched and listened to a growing number of Jackdaws and Rooks in the tree tops and as I arrived home I once again cleared the path of snow.

7th Jan. Following a patch first, today I had a garden first. It was a Pied Wagtail taking its chances with the Blackbirds as it searched for seed in the icy cold and thick snow.

So the year list remains a shrunken one, but has many days left to expand.

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_1097.JPG
    IMG_1097.JPG
    129.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1101.JPG
    IMG_1101.JPG
    113.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1102.JPG
    IMG_1102.JPG
    125.1 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1104.JPG
    IMG_1104.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1110.JPG
    IMG_1110.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
A good read, with some nice pics Bonny Lad. Each of your walks seemed to be very bracing; if that's not too gentle a term for what you experienced. Despite the conditions you picked up some nice birds -if you'll excuse the expression. You certainly ventured out much more than I did, so you deserved a bit of success. I might try a trip to Potteric Carr this week. Note I said 'might'.

Blacktoft Sands is closed until further notice because of ice on the pathways. Bless! Possibly a victim of Health and Safety, and fear of litigation. Ah well!

Baz.

A good read, with some nice pics Bonny Lad. Each of your walks seemed to be very bracing; if that's not too gentle a term for what you experienced. Despite the conditions you picked up some nice birds -if you'll excuse the expression. You certainly ventured out much more than I did, so you deserved a bit of success. I might try a trip to Potteric Carr this week. Note I said 'might'.

Blacktoft Sands is closed until further notice because of ice on the pathways. Bless! Possibly a victim of Health and Safety, and fear of litigation. Ah well!

Baz.

Cheers Baz

The pathways were closed before the New Year at Saltholme reserve too Baz. I don't suppose you can blame the RSPB because as you say many people would only be too quick to sue. The oddest thing Im hearing these days is that we can be sued if we clear snow from paths in front of our homes and someone slips. If we just leave the snow there we are ok and in the clear. We live in a crazy world these days.

Enjoyable reading Brian, you're a tough one to venture out in this weather although I well remember the time when this was common but it didn't bother me back then. Very good seasonal photos too, the cloud in the second one looks ominous - more snow to come?

I hope the swan was OK. I do worry about birds in this weather, especially water birds.

...we can be sued if we clear snow from paths in front of our homes and someone slips. If we just leave the snow there we are ok and in the clear. We live in a crazy world these days.

It's pathetic, isn't it! :smoke: We had so much snow in front of our shop on Saturday 2nd January that I went to get my shovel and clear it but a customer told me not to in case I was sued! :eek!: So it was ok for the council to leave it for the old dears to struggle in for their pensions.....this country has lost all semblance of common sense! :C

But rant over ;) Great read Brian :t: My list is very small at the moment too as I'm confined to barracks and stuck in Alnwick! There's no way I've been willing to risk the treacherous roads to the coast, even though it's only about two/three miles away. I wrote the last car off by dunching it into a lamp-post and I think Neil would NOT be pleased if I killed this one too ;) :-O
Today has seen a very strong thaw up here with the snow virtually melting in front of your eyes so I may be able to add a few coastal birds to the Year List by Tuesday :t:

Enjoyable reading Brian, you're a tough one to venture out in this weather although I well remember the time when this was common but it didn't bother me back then. Very good seasonal photos too, the cloud in the second one looks ominous - more snow to come?

I hope the swan was OK. I do worry about birds in this weather, especially water birds.

Hi Bea

Good to speak and thanks for the comment. Yes those clouds were dropping snow before I was at the end of the pathway.

The walk on the 2nd was the toughest Bea, as the wind was a bitter north easterly blowing snow into our faces at times. I still enjoyed it though.

It's pathetic, isn't it! :smoke: We had so much snow in front of our shop on Saturday 2nd January that I went to get my shovel and clear it but a customer told me not to in case I was sued! :eek!: So it was ok for the council to leave it for the old dears to struggle in for their pensions.....this country has lost all semblance of common sense! :C

But rant over ;) Great read Brian :t: My list is very small at the moment too as I'm confined to barracks and stuck in Alnwick! There's no way I've been willing to risk the treacherous roads to the coast, even though it's only about two/three miles away. I wrote the last car off by dunching it into a lamp-post and I think Neil would NOT be pleased if I killed this one too ;) :-O
Today has seen a very strong thaw up here with the snow virtually melting in front of your eyes so I may be able to add a few coastal birds to the Year List by Tuesday :t:

Hi Gill

Yes pathetic. I'm glad your surviving though.

Been a decent thaw here today. Probably best if it doesn't thaw to quickly or some will be dealing with floods again. I'm willing to bet that whilst we have been stuck in high pressure for weeks, causing this freeze, by summer we wuill be stuck in low pressure and sufferring heavy rain;-(

I have dental treatment to look forward to on Mon and Tue but hope to be birding off patch later in the week.

Take care

Oooh dental treatment is Not Nice :-C And the paying for it is even worse!!!! :eek!: Just lie back and think about all the fabulous birds and flowers you will see this year - that will take your mind off the evil man drilling away!!! :king:

Oooh dental treatment is Not Nice :-C And the paying for it is even worse!!!! :eek!: Just lie back and think about all the fabulous birds and flowers you will see this year - that will take your mind off the evil man drilling away!!! :king:

The guy's ok, tis the tools of his trade I'm not so keen on.:eek!:

Great read Brian, my list is even smaller than yours...still to break through 20 species yet.
That walk on the 2nd must have been a real effort, don't know that I'd have been able to do it with a bitter wind in my face.
I too enjoyed the Leeds win over Man U, and I'm not even a footie fan...rugby is my game, but like you I found it nice seeing the smile wiped off Fergie's face.

Thanks Keith.

Yes the 2nd was bitter to say the least! You will notice in the photo the guy on the right has no gloves on. I found he had done the whole walk without them. Brrrrrr. I couldn't have done that! When I passed comment he just shrugged and said 'it's because I work outside'.

Yes always nice to see David triumph over Goliath, especially when Goliath has all the money. :)

Cheers

I enjoyed the reading of your report & looking at your photo's Brian.
I haven't been far at all, but the garden bird list isn't bad.
I agree with Keith, my fingers would have been numb.

I enjoyed the reading of your report & looking at your photo's Brian.
I haven't been far at all, but the garden bird list isn't bad.
I agree with Keith, my fingers would have been numb.

Thank's Val.

I've spent a good bit of time this year watching the garden birds myself! As I mention in the thread I had been hoping for somthing a bit different, but the Pied Wagtail has been the only highlight so far.

Oh I did enjoy reading about your outings, Brian, and am impressed with your list. Some spectacular photos too.

Thanks for sharing.

It's still a good list Brian, mine's not too big with this weather. (No matter how I try to word that it sounds wrong)
I've had one trip off patch and found that ice and two wheels can be a bit dicey and the last time I drove in snow I crashed. I'll just wait for the thaw.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back