• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tamarindo / Guanacaste, Costa Rica, Feb (1 Viewer)

Minty99

Took a week's trip to Costa Rica for hiking / wildlife hunting. Had a basic bird book but could only identify about 2/3 of what I saw. Can anyone help with the rest? The book seemed to have given up altogether on waders and only included 2-3.

1. Wader
2. Swallow
3. Heron
4. ?
5. Trogon

Attachments

• bird1.JPG
    bird1.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 19
  • bird 2.JPG
    bird 2.JPG
    19.2 KB · Views: 19
  • bird3.JPG
    bird3.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 15
  • bird4.JPG
    bird4.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 18
  • bird5.JPG
    bird5.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 16
Thanks. Comparing pictures for Blue Grey vs White Lored, I'm leaning towards the latter, particularly considering the range of the birds. I have 14 to identify altogether, sorry!

1-4 The are a bewildering variety of fairly similar birds with yellow breasts, and apart from the ubiquitous Kiskadee, I struggled with them...
5 I have as a streaked-Backed Oriole?

Attachments

• bird6.JPG
    bird6.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 13
  • bird7.JPG
    bird7.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 13
  • bird9.JPG
    bird9.JPG
    25.7 KB · Views: 12
  • bird12.JPG
    bird12.JPG
    19.3 KB · Views: 12
  • bird8.JPG
    bird8.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 7
Thanks, you're good at this.
Last set:

1. Plover
2. Wader
3. Tiny wader, smaller than a Starling, quite tame running around near people on the tourist beach.
4. Couldn't find anything even remotely similar in my book. This was sunset from the top of the hill near my hotel in Tamarindo. In flight they looked like huge mayflies, with long tail streamers.

I made the FB album public, if anyone wants to check my IDs if they have a spare hour |>|

Attachments

• bird10.JPG
    bird10.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 10
  • bird11.JPG
    bird11.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 12
  • bird14.JPG
    bird14.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 12
  • bird13.JPG
    bird13.JPG
    17.9 KB · Views: 19
1) Semipalmated plover
2) Least sandpiper (yellow legs)
3) Spotted Sandpiper
4) Scissor-tailed flycatcher [the illustration in Garrigues and Dean isn't very accurate - check photos on the web instead]

1) Semipalmated plover
2) Least sandpiper (yellow legs)
3) Spotted Sandpiper
4) Scissor-tailed flycatcher [the illustration in Garrigues and Dean isn't very accurate - check photos on the web instead]

Thank you. That last was was the one I was most interested to know. The photos on the web are great, shame mine were only from about half a mile away. Costa Rica is amazing, if anyone hasn't been.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back