• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tanzania, cisticola, eagle, falcon (1 Viewer)

ekopa

Hello!

Please help me identify these birds, photographed on Ngorongoro crater rim in December
1-2 Singing Cisticola?
3 Which eagle?
4-5 Lanner?

Thanks

Attachments

• 1E6A2502.JPG
    1E6A2502.JPG
    291.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 1E6A2508.JPG
    1E6A2508.JPG
    295.4 KB · Views: 31
  • 1E6A2530.JPG
    1E6A2530.JPG
    432.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 1E6A2666.JPG
    1E6A2666.JPG
    532 KB · Views: 33
  • 1E6A2681.JPG
    1E6A2681.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 21
1-2. Looks more like red-faced cisticola (and singing cisticola seems to be out of range).
3. Looks like a snake-eagle, and the only one that's likely and looks anything like that seems to be western banded snake-eagle.
4-5. Evenly-patterned underwing indicates peregrine, though otherwise I might well have doubts and wonder about lanner.

1-2. Looks more like red-faced cisticola (and singing cisticola seems to be out of range).
3. Looks like a snake-eagle, and the only one that's likely and looks anything like that seems to be western banded snake-eagle.
4-5. Evenly-patterned underwing indicates peregrine, though otherwise I might well have doubts and wonder about lanner.
Agree: peregrine for me.

1-2. Agree with Butty: Red-faced
3. Looks not stocky enough for Banded, juvenile Black-chested imho
4-5. marked undertail coverts and broad moustache make it a beautiful Peregrine

Thank you. Red-faced Cisticola makes sense
Although Singing Cisticolas are also present
Agree with Peregrine
Snake Eagle is still a little mystery. The only species recorded on eBird for this spot is Black-Chested Snake Eagle. However I cannot find a photo of a similarly dull looking juvenile.
Western Banded SE looks good. Like on this photo African Bird Club
However the cere should be yellow, and it is not in the bird in question
Brown SE can also potentially be there but looks really different

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back