• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tanzania, Lake Manyara - weaver, nightjar (1 Viewer)

ekopa

Hello!

Please help me identify these birds, photographed in Lake Manyara National Park in December
1. Which weaver?
2-3. Slender-tailed Nightjar?

Attachments

• 1E6A1315.JPG
    1E6A1315.JPG
    224.3 KB · Views: 56
  • 1E6A1563.JPG
    1E6A1563.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 54
  • 1E6A1574.JPG
    1E6A1574.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 53
Hi ekopa,
it does look like this is a slender tailed nightjar to me. For the weaver it is closest to a female bob tailed weaver. It could also be a southern masked weaver (female) but Tanzania is a bit further north than their usual range.

I would agree with Slender-tailed Nightjar.

As for the weaver, DaBeach's answer is a mystery. Bob-tailed Weaver is from the Congo, and Southern-masked is from the south. It looks like a youngish Village Weaver to me. It has pink legs, so it isn't Lesser Masked (which we saw at Manyara); maybe it could be female Vitelline (though I don't think so).

Thank you.
Bobtailed Weaver is excluded based on range. Lesser Masked Weaver should have a pale eye. Female/young Village Weaver as well as Vitelline Weaver should have whitish belly.
Perhaps female Golden-Backed Weaver?

Thank you.
Bobtailed Weaver is excluded based on range. Lesser Masked Weaver should have a pale eye. Female/young Village Weaver as well as Vitelline Weaver should have whitish belly.
Perhaps female Golden-Backed Weaver?
That sounds good. For some reason, I had thought it was out of range.

Yes, 54 observations on eBird from this place
The only thing - on most photos females of GBW have two-toned bill

Hi ekopa, I'm attaching a photo of a bird that - to my eyes - looks similar to yours. It was taken in western Kenya in April 2019. We had it down as female Northern Masked, partly because of the bird behind it in the photo (the location is fine for Northern Masked) and also because of our guide's ID. Our guide wasn't bad, but was one of those people who will never say, "I'm not sure" and always confidently give an ID. However, when we got home, several of his confident IDs were clearly wrong when I checked the books (or BF). Also he was a mobile phone addict, so was not always paying attention.

There were many Golden-backed Weavers in the place we were and because of your post I'm wondering if, despite the Northern Masked in the background this isn't actually a Golden-backed female?

Looking at these photos makes me a little sad, because we are wondering when we'll be able to go to Africa again.

By the way, I notice you are in Moscow. I thought you used to be in Poland? My (Japanese) wife and I had two great trips to Russia in the last three years - Vladivostok and Irkutsk, and Moscow and St Petersburg - and had a good time and friendly reception on both trips. Indeed my wife has been studying Russian online for pleasure in the hope of going again - but who knows when that will be possible?

Anyway, all the best.

190428239 Kenya 2019.jpg

By the way, I notice you are in Moscow. I thought you used to be in Poland? My (Japanese) wife and I had two great trips to Russia in the last three years - Vladivostok and Irkutsk, and Moscow and St Petersburg - and had a good time and friendly reception on both trips. Indeed my wife has been studying Russian online for pleasure in the hope of going again - but who knows when that will be possible?
Please excuse me - I mistook your user name for opisska who sometimes posts about Poland, but who is actually from the Czech Republic. Because of the plague, it's been a long time, and I've forgotten who some people are. I hope all you eastern European people won't get upset about this - we love you all!

Golden-backed females should have two-toned bill
Judging by other photos yours is fine with Northern Masked Weaver

My guide didn't even notice this fellow:)

Actually Africa is open for visitors, no problem to travel from Russia
All these photos were taken last December

Actually Africa is open for visitors, no problem to travel from Russia
All these photos were taken last December
Unfortunately, Japan is essentially closed. Only Japanese and permanent residents (like me) can enter the country at all, I think, but even then you have to quarantine.

Bizarrely, the Japanese government is negotiating with other countries so that those of us who have been double-vaccinated can enter those countries without quarantine - but we would still have to quarantine for two weeks on returning to Japan!

Even if that changes, my wife simply can't risk not being able to work for two weeks. When she retires in 18 months, then we'll be able to re-assess the situation. Hopefully the world will be better all around by then.

By the way, are you saying that we could enter Russia without quarantine now? Did you not have to quarantine on returning from Africa?

Rules change every day, but citizens of certain countries (including Japan) can enter as usual with negative PCR test without quarantine
Vaccinated Russian citizens can enter back without any additional hassle

Looking at these photos makes me a little sad, because we are wondering when we'll be able to go to Africa again.
My wife has taken to watching Daily LIVE safaris – WildEarth as she is missing Southern Africa so much. We are both really keen to return. Its been over 2 years without our Southern African fix and we both miss it very much! We are visiting a lot more places in Germany, which is very nice, but not Africa...

Russian birders keep visiting South Africa. I guess it's because Germany doesn't welcome you back:(
THey are very strict, but it isn't Germany per se, it is the individual Bundesländer. Each has their own Covid rules. That is 18 different rules for the whole country!! The problem arises if you fly and everything is ok, when you return 3 weeks or so later, everything has changed again and you have to quarantine, which each land has their own different rules for. When you go from one Bundesland to another, you need a negative test from the chemist, or other drive in test centres from the day of travel. It means that in some cases, you can't drive overnight, say from Hamburg to München/Munich, because the test is not from the date of arrival. It also depends where you stay.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back