• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Tayforth Birding (1 Viewer)

Nicola Main

I'm planning on visiting Kinnordy on Wednesday I take it it's open? Don't want to travel all that way to find it closed. This will be my first trip out of the house (aside from going to work) since February so a tad nervous what with Covid but have not been birdwatching for ages and miss Kinnordy.

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
Hi Nicola

I've not been for a few weeks. The reserve was open but not the hides at that time. Maybe worth checking with Loch Leven. You'll get the links etc from our Opus article for Kinnordy.

The feeders seem to get filled once a week (or were then!)

Hope this helps.

delia todd

Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
What did you find out Nicola? Did you go to Kinnordy in the end?

delia todd

Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
Dammit... spoke to my neighbour this morning and she told me she'd had a Magpie in the garden yesterday.

I've not seen one since Christmas/New Year time round here, though did see one in the Glens back in the summer.

Nicola Main

No we didn't go Delia as the hides are closed. What a coincidence about Magpies as I had one in my garden on Sunday! We have a pair that live locally and I actually quite like seeing them as they only started becoming more common here in the last 5 years or so.

delia todd

Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
I heard an unusual call when I was walking into town earlier!! Going to have to learn it I think.... a Magpie flew over!

I saw one in my neighbours garden at the New Year, then again on the shed roof about a month ago. First time I'd heard the call here though!

mummymonkey

Supporter
United Kingdom
I heard an unusual call when I was walking into town earlier!! Going to have to learn it I think.... a Magpie flew over!

I saw one in my neighbours garden at the New Year, then again on the shed roof about a month ago. First time I'd heard the call here though!
That rattle is now pretty familiar in Perth. Hear it most days. I was in my late teens before I saw a magpie in the flesh and that was on a visit to Glasgow!
I would say magpies and buzzards are the two most noticeable birds that have increased their range in my lifetime. Buzzard was also unknown to me growing up in Rattray. Collared dove was just a little before my time and were common here by the 1970s when I started bird watching.

delia todd

Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
I see loads of them when I go to visit my brother in Wales, but I've not been down there for a couple of years.

Users who are viewing this thread