• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tayforth Birding (2 Viewers)

Trail camera surprise

I'm not sure if a trail camera is part of bird-spotting, but I had a rather exciting (for me) record from last week. I have my camera watching a hole in the sheep-fence close to the River Isla. I have many records of various animals, and an occasional bird (crows, pheasants, even yellow hammers). However, a pair of brown/grey birds with long red bills plodded along the trail and a friend has confirmed they were Water Rail. I have not heard or seen them in this area before, so very pleased. The photo is a screen-grab from a 10sec video, so rather poor quality.

Attachments

• Water Rail  maybe, Isla site 5.jpg
    Water Rail maybe, Isla site 5.jpg
    354.3 KB · Views: 40
What a great record Mark.

Look out for the chicks then... they're round black blobs on long stilts, quite adorable!

Last edited:
The quiet of lockdown has definitely helped bird life round here, we seem to have more baby birds in the garden and the village in general. We've had Wrens, Blue Tits, Coal Tits, Blackbirds, Song Thrushes, Starlings and House Sparrows breed close, if not actually in our garden this year, there were Dunnocks in Spring, but I've not noticed any youngsters. What seem to be in lower numbers are Swallows and House Martins, the Swifts turned up, but not sure if they have bred in the village this year. Buzzards have chicks about to fledge, but I haven't seen much of the Kestrels or Sparrow Hawks lately. We also seem to have good numbers of Pipistrelle and Soprano Pipistrelle bats around the village too.

Cycle ride round the village, saw good numbers of youngsters on the hedgerows and gates, including Sedge Warbler, Linnet, Skylark and Yellowhammer.

Had a walk round Forfar Loch in the middle of the day and again saw an Otter, becoming quite a common site here, even with folk walking around. Great Crested Grebe with a chick, Lapwing, Common Sandpiper, Ringed Plover, Grey Heron, Mute Swan, Blackheaded Gull, Herring Gull, Swallow, Magpie amongst the sighting's.

Last edited:
Spent a couple of hours at Fowlsheugh on the sea cliffs, rather late in the season as pretty much all of the young had fledged, just one jumpling Guillemot, a few adult Razorbills and 8 Puffins. A lot of juvenile Kittiwakes still on the cliffs, looks like it has been a good breeding season for them.

I'm so glad you've found your way to this thread MM.

I've not seen a Swift round here for about 3 weeks now.

Some common birds, seen in Perth town centre. Either on Tay Street, Norrie Miller Gardens or by the lade.

Attachments

• bullfinch4.jpg
    bullfinch4.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 10
  • collared dove.jpg
    collared dove.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 8
  • goosander male.jpg
    goosander male.jpg
    282.1 KB · Views: 8
  • goosander female.jpg
    goosander female.jpg
    291 KB · Views: 9
  • jackdaw.jpg
    jackdaw.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 4
Cont.

Attachments

• lesser black backed gull.jpg
    lesser black backed gull.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 7
  • long tailed tit 4.jpg
    long tailed tit 4.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 9
  • magpie.jpg
    magpie.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 9
  • robin3.jpg
    robin3.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 5
  • sand martin young.jpg
    sand martin young.jpg
    696.2 KB · Views: 24
A little further afield. Egret was Loch Leven, the rest Kinnordy.

Attachments

• little egret.jpg
    little egret.jpg
    325.8 KB · Views: 16
  • marsh harrier2.jpg
    marsh harrier2.jpg
    304 KB · Views: 24
  • osprey.jpg
    osprey.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 16
  • teal_pair2.jpg
    teal_pair2.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 23
Oh nice!!!! Really jealous of the Bullfinch, I hardly ever see them here.

And would you believe Magpies are just about twitchable round here too... had one in the neighbour's garden around Christmas time and saw one up the glens a month or so back.

Super pictures Graham. It's would be lovely to see some of your images in the Gallery too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back