• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tayforth Birding (3 Viewers)

Hi Yellowhammer;) What the heck is WTWBIS????:rolleyes:

We've a little info about Loch of the Lowes in our Opus section: Loch of the Lowes - BirdForum Opus

You should be able to access the hides: there's a double-decker one (upstairs is better if you can manage the steps), and another new one to the right, though I'm not sure if that one is unlocked when there's no staff around.

There's a feeding station to the side of the visitor centre.

On the walk from the car park to the hides, do take your time to check the woodland on your left and the field on the right for any wildlife.

Also from the far end of the car park is a walk which takes you through the woods fringing the edge of the loch and a peep-hole screen to look out over the water. Beside this is a gate back onto the road (more-or-less where the arrow is pointing on this map, and on the opposite side a gate to a track which leads up and round a field to Fungarth and back onto the main road which will take you back to the car park. It makes for a nice walk with the possibility of some wildlife. There was a golf course in that big field, but I'm not sure if it still is.

Apart from that.... rather depends if you want walking or sitting in the car looking. There's possibilities for both really and will very much depend on the weather.

We've a little info about Loch of the Lowes in our Opus section: Loch of the Lowes - BirdForum Opus

You should be able to access the hides: there's a double-decker one (upstairs is better if you can manage the steps), and another new one to the right, though I'm not sure if that one is unlocked when there's no staff around.

There's a feeding station to the side of the visitor centre.

On the walk from the car park to the hides, do take your time to check the woodland on your left and the field on the right for any wildlife.

Also from the far end of the car park is a walk which takes you through the woods fringing the edge of the loch and a peep-hole screen to look out over the water. Beside this is a gate back onto the road (more-or-less where the arrow is pointing on this map, and on the opposite side a gate to a track which leads up and round a field to Fungarth and back onto the main road which will take you back to the car park. It makes for a nice walk with the possibility of some wildlife. There was a golf course in that big field, but I'm not sure if it still is.

Apart from that.... rather depends if you want walking or sitting in the car looking. There's possibilities for both really and will very much depend on the weather.
Thanks, I'm on foot so will take the Fungarth path to get there from Dunkeld.
I did just read this statement on the reserve site:
"Please note the woodland trail is not currently accessible when the Visitor Centre is closed."
?

Where to Watch Birds in Scotland!

Thanks, I'm on foot so will take the Fungarth path to get there from Dunkeld.
I did just read this statement on the reserve site:
"Please note the woodland trail is not currently accessible when the Visitor Centre is closed."
?
That seems strange. It can only be the bit from the car park to the gate onto the road by the screen that's closed, The rest is all public footpath, from there to Dunkeld, as far as I know (the locals would be screaming if they couldn't walk round that hill, it's quite popular.

Well I've been and returned. As predicted the reserve was officially Closed to the extent that as I hovered a ranger came out and politely but firmly redirected me elsewhere, basically seemed to discourage me from walking anywhere close to the loch. Possibly she was concerned I might double back and try to enter from the far end of the paths. So I partly ignored this and walked back east along the road and tried to sneek views over the water which worked reasonably although not great for camera work as lots of twigs and branches in the way. I did though see a pair of Great Crested Grebes, Whooper Swans and Goldeneye and even coaxed IDs for the latter two from birdNET even though my guidebook says the Goldeneye is rarely heard.
For future ref I took the path via Cally carpark which now goes right down to a road crossing next to the golf course, on the way back though I took the shorter route that went more directly back to Dunkeld via Haughend (as opposed to Fungarth and Cally).
The river Tay had virtually nothing on it except a few Oystercatchers on the banks.
The dinner menu had Perthshire Wood Pigeon on it.

Attachments

• Great Crested Grebe-DSC02021.JPG
    5.9 MB · Views: 6
  • Whooper Swan-DSC02008.JPG
    5.3 MB · Views: 5
Nice one lad. Didn't realise you were going so soon.

I'm not sure how you ended up at Cally car park though? LOL

Nice one lad. Didn't realise you were going so soon.

I'm not sure how you ended up at Cally car park though? LOL
Aha, but that is the recommended way of getting there as per the reserve website (which in turn directs you to this page

Of course it may not be the fastest way of getting there!?

Anyway this is where I ended up walking...

LOL Talk about making a meal of it!!!

How did you get to Dunkeld? Bus..... train?

Oh thanks!!! I meant to check yesterday, then thought it might be too early!!

Looks like I should have done LOL

Walking to work this morning via a rather meandering route that I hoped might find me a Chiffchaff for my Dundee 140 list (trying to see/hear 140 species of birds in/from the city this year) I was rather surprised as I was walking down Campbell Street (on the west side of the Law) passing some allotments at around 0655 when a male Pheasant suddenly took flight from the other side of the fence and flew off up Gardiner Street heading north. Although I've seen Pheasant at Riverside Nature Park and along the Dighty near Douglas/West Pitkerro, I wasn't expecting to see one so far from the outer edges of the city. Definitely an unexpected sight. No Chiffchaff though....

I'm sure that Osprey is close to laying an egg!

Just wish she'd get on with it and stop making all that noise LOL

I'm sure that Osprey is close to laying an egg!

Just wish she'd get on with it and stop making all that noise LOL

For the first time.... I've found her lying down on the nest. Do you think she's laid an egg?

Thanks Paul.

I guess I knew really, as she'd not spent the night on the nest before either.

Just read on the site that she laid the egg at 18:34 last night. So about half an hour before I posted here last night.

Not the best of weather, but at least she'll keep the egg cosy LOL

Forgot to say - the Ospreys laid a third egg yesterday lunchtime.

Good luck to them all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back