• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tayforth Birding (1 Viewer)

A few recent blog-posts you may have missed if you don't usually look at the 'blogs' section on here, all about my birding around Dundee (not including Riverside Nature Park - except for 1 post where I visited multiple sites on the same day) as I try to reach a target of 140 species seen (or heard) from within the city boundaries....

Last edited:
a kingfisher has been photographed sitting at the side of stobbie pond (eric niven)
Heard it a few weeks ago as I arrived at the ponds but couldn't see it, despite 2 circuits of the top pond. Got confirmation that I hadn't imagined it during the week via a lady on Twitter and saw it on Saturday and Sunday during visits on my way elsewhere. She (it is a female) flew off on Saturday afternoon across the grassy area between the toilets and playpark at dusk, suggesting she could be one of the two birds seen at City Quay for the past few months, on the way there to roost overnight.

Attachments

• PB190596.jpg
    PB190596.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 8
  • PB200097.jpg
    PB200097.jpg
    870.9 KB · Views: 8
  • PB200131.jpg
    PB200131.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8
Visited Argaty today. Last time I walked along the Doune A road so this time I tried the Old Doune Road and NCN765 which is much better. I didn't go for the official feed time but saw two Red Kites there and Tree Sparrows at the feeder. Along the way I saw Raven, Buzzard, Sparrowhawk, Reed Bunting, Jay, Nuthatch, Great Spotted Woodpecker and a Red Squirrel crossed the road in front of me.

Way back in the mid-late 90's I went with a friend on our first visit to the Eden Estuary. This was in our early days of serious bird watching.

There we were told about a female Smew on Cameron Loch and were given directions on how to get there. High tide came, so off we went and there saw my first Smew! I think there's been a Smew there most (every?) winter since - someone will know.

Had a long gap without smew there (or anything much else for that matter). I think this bird is on at least its 3rd winter (despite Birdguides saying it is a first winter - it was just a slightly delayed moult). There were two drakes one year. If only the access road wasn't in such a state (and it wasn't so exposed to the wind!).

Rob

Ah! Thanks Rob, I knew you would know about a Smew (I can see a tongue-twister coming on LOL)

Given that my entire year of birding took place in the area covered in this thread (mostly in Dundee, with single figure visits to both Angus and Fife), this would appear to be the ideal place to share my birding blog review of 2022 in four parts...

Part 1 is the tale of the year (& a few pics).
Parts 2, 3 & 4 contain many more photos (smaller size than usual) with the year broken down into sections of 4 months apiece.

https://stonefactionbirding2014.blogspot.com/2022/12/review-of-2022-part-1-story.html
https://stonefactionbirding2014.blogspot.com/2022/12/review-of-2022-part-2-pictures-january.html
https://stonefactionbirding2014.blogspot.com/2022/12/review-of-2022-part-3-pictures-may-to.html
https://stonefactionbirding2014.blogspot.com/2022/12/review-of-2022-part-4-pictures.html

Last edited:
That's interesting Burnie. Some years ago, I saw a huge flock really not too far from there, south of Alyth, west of Meigle: Location Map. (arrow marks the spot).

The all went to roost in the top of a large tree or two.

Had a rather disappointing run out on Sunday.

Not a sign of a bird, apart from occasional Crows all the way up to the top car park at Backwater. The only birds seen there were two very distant Mute Swans.

Thought about stopping at Lintrathen hide, but decided to go on to Kingoldrum (slowly) to see if we could pick up any winter finches, thrushes etc.... but not a sign.

Returned via the Cardean Road, out to the B954 at Meigle then the little road through Leitfie (passing that spot arrowed on the map link) back to Blair. Didn't even see any geese in fields nor in flight. Really odd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back