• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Feel the intensity, not your equipment. Maximum image quality. Minimum weight. The new ZEISS SFL, up to 30% less weight than comparable competitors.

TE-9Z eyepiece on Kowa TSN-883, 884 scopes? (1 Viewer)

SEOW

This post by Kimmo Absetz,

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=2636819#post2636819

in the thread on the new 25-60x Kowa zoom, got me thinking: just wondering if anyone on the forum might’ve tried the TE-9Z on the 880/770 series scopes? The TE-9Z (confusingly called the TSE-9Z in a few places on the web) is the zoom eyepiece that gives 20-60x power on the TSN-660 series and 21-63x on the TSN-82SV scopes. Near as I can tell, with the use of the TSN-EC3 adapter,

http://www.eagleoptics.com/spotting-scope-eyepieces/kowa/kowa-tsn-ec3-eyepiece-converter

this eyepiece would give you about 24-73x on the 880/770’s. If the eyepiece gets along with the scopes well enough, this eyepiece& adapter, though expensive, could be a solution for those who own (or who, like myself, are considering buying) one of the 880/770 series scopes and find themselves sometimes wishing for higher magnification than 60x.

This zoom has a pretty narrow field (looks like it would be about a 1.5*-0.85* at these magnifications, similar to what the Nikon MC II zoom gives on the ED82 Fieldscope), so I think I’d not want it as my only eyepiece- but the TE-9z weighs abt. 8 oz, so it wouldn’t be too bad to take with you into the field in case you thought you might need a little more reach on a particular day.

The ep goes for $370-385 new in the US; the adapter, though $90 from Eagle Optics, shows up on Rakuten from Japan here

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/eagleeyeshopping/item/ab1-8601ak/

for abt. $45 USD, which (I think) would end up being $65ish after taking shipping, US taxes into account, still a little cheaper than $90 at EO. So, a lot of $ any way you cut it for the ep + adapter, but still might be worth doing for those really wanting to push the big Kowa a little more (especially perhaps for those of us in the US, where the Swaro ATX 95 is significantly more expensive than the Kowa).

Last edited:

RJM

Don't Worry, Be Happy!
I use the now discontinued 21x wide with the adapter on the 883/774 scopes. Useful for big sky views during the raptor migration. Never thought about using the zoom for high powers as my recollection of it on the 663/664 was the optics weren't that good. Thanks for making me think about it again though.

Btw, if you think you might like a good deal on used Kowa kit let me know. I am downsizing mode now and want to sell at least one of my two Kowa's and their digisco kits.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread