• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Teleconverter for 300D/Sigma 135-400mm (1 Viewer)

CJW

Hit-and-run WUM
Anyone got any suggestions as to what to buy? Preferred choice is 1.4x but will consider a 2x
I don't want to spend "Canon money".

Chris

Chris, I have the Sigma 1.4x and it works fine. I was told that you have to use one the same make as your lens, but I don't know how true that is. I've heard that the 2x is not as good.

I bought mine from Jacobs (not sure if you have them over there) and it cost me about £140.

Chris the Ex series Sigma teleconvertors are pretty good & the difference between 1.4x 2x quality is barely discernible. You lose 1 f stop with the 1.4 & 2 with the 2x so if your lens is a f5.6 max aperture you'll lose autofocus with either convertor but the 2x will result in a f11 aperture which might be too dim to easily manually focus in anything but bright conditions. The shutter speed will then inevitably be slow so that in what effectively becomes a 800mm lens you are almost bound to get blurring due to equipment shake (as a rough guide equipment shake is minimised by using a speed > or = the inverse of the lens focal length (in this case 1/800).

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back