• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Tenerife sites info requested (1 Viewer)

Allen

Am making a trip to Tenerife next week and, although not a birding holiday and also having seen target species on a prior trip many years ago, I'd like to re-see Laurel and Bolle's Pigeon and Blue Chaffinch. I know Laurel is still best from the Mirador pull in but does anyone have info on latest best sites for the other 2?

david kelly

Drive-by Birder
Scotland
Am making a trip to Tenerife next week and, although not a birding holiday and also having seen target species on a prior trip many years ago, I'd like to re-see Laurel and Bolle's Pigeon and Blue Chaffinch. I know Laurel is still best from the Mirador pull in but does anyone have info on latest best sites for the other 2?
Las Lajas for Blue Chaffinch.

David

wolfbirder

Supporter
Yes it is, it is excellent for them, plus local race GS Woody, Canary, local race Blue Tit and Chiffchaff etc. Look for drinking puddles fed by taps by trees.

Can see Bolle's I believe at the Mirador pull off too, though I dont like the place due to being by busy road and looking high up. You need a scope there. There are better plces for Bolle's (hope someone can help).

I am not sure if Litte/Barolo Shearwater are present year round, but late afternoon towards dusk several reports mention seeing them off Las Aguas / Roque de Garachico. I have a feeling only in summer though.

Last edited:

opisska

Jan Ebr
Czech Republic
Yeah during our trip we managed to get the land birds quickly so we have spent several mornings/evenings looking for the Barolos from the coast around the reported sites, no luck - that was in June.

Scridifer

Supporter
Bulgaria
Yes it is, it is excellent for them, plus local race GS Woody, Canary, local race Blue Tit and Chiffchaff etc. Look for drinking puddles fed by taps by trees.

Can see Bolle's I believe at the Mirador pull off too, though I dont like the place due to being by busy road and looking high up. You need a scope there. There are better plces for Bolle's (hope someone can help).

I am not sure if Litte/Barolo Shearwater are present year round, but late afternoon towards dusk several reports mention seeing them off Las Aguas / Roque de Garachico. I have a feeling only in summer though.
I went to Tenerife at the end of January last year and like Nick wasn't too impressed by the mirador pull-off. I found either end of the Barranco de Ruiz to be better for both species of pigeon. My trip report is here if of interest.

Chris

Allen

Additional ask. I'd like to get decent views of Plain Swift on this visit; any potential sites and also what's the challenge of Common or Pallid in October?

Allen

For interest on future trips. I had c3-4 Laurel Pigeons in the small valley along the entry road to the Mirador Lomo Molino near El Tanque during a viewpoint stop for my partner. No idea if they are regular there but certainly they were landing in that valley and not just flying through. Habitat didn't look like I expected to find them in. Pic attached of one individual happily feeding under a tamarisk...a bit soft on focus as light wasn't great!

Attachments

• DSCN9608.JPG
    DSCN9608.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 28

Scridifer

Supporter
Bulgaria
For interest on future trips. I had c3-4 Laurel Pigeons in the small valley along the entry road to the Mirador Lomo Molino near El Tanque during a viewpoint stop for my partner. No idea if they are regular there but certainly they were landing in that valley and not just flying through. Habitat didn't look like I expected to find them in. Pic attached of one individual happily feeding under a tamarisk...a bit soft on focus as light wasn't great!
Nice one Allen - I'd be more than happy with that photo!

Chris

Allen

Just out of interest; does anyone have information on status of Peregrine on Tenerife? I had a falcon at eye level off the usual site of the arch/spire on the Punto de Teno road (which btw is now only open to buses and taxis and not cars) which initially i had thought was Barbary Falcon given its the expected Falcon here but then, as it came closer, seemed to have broader moustache, lacked rufous nape and more stonger barred underparts which made me change my mind to Peregrine. However it seems Peregrine is a rare vagrant and, given this site is known for Barbary Falcon, I wonder if i overly analysed things and it was actually Barbary (and some Internet reading indicates some Barbarys can lack the rufous and show wider moustache). Any thoughts?

Owene

Sorry to hijack the thread but I'm heading to Tenerife in February and looking at igoterra for potential lifers it has Nanday Parakeet down at category C. From the WP big year a few years back I didn't think this was the case even though they are quite numerous.

Is Igoterra wrong?

Maffong

Sorry to hijack the thread but I'm heading to Tenerife in February and looking at igoterra for potential lifers it has Nanday Parakeet down at category C. From the WP big year a few years back I didn't think this was the case even though they are quite numerous.

Is Igoterra wrong?
It's complicated...
Nanday Parakeet got into category C (established exotics) of the WP list a while back, when a population in Israel was deemed self-sustainable. That population died out a while after, but the birds in Tenerife were viewed by many WP birders to fit the countability criteria much better anyways. Lots of people added those birds to their WP lists, but two or three years ago a new official Spanish list was published that concluded that Nanday Parakeet arguably does not meet the criteria for self-sustainability yet. Thus, we have the weird case that there's currently population of Nanday Parakeet in the WP that's officially countable, but everyone adds the Tenerife birds, cause they might actually be.

Owene

Thanks that's where I thought we were, I guess enough people have ticked it on igoterra that it's included it. Weird as they usually are quite good at having cat d and e labelled as such. Monk parakeet is tickable though I think.

Maffong

Thus, we have the weird case that there's currently population of Nanday Parakeet in the WP that's officially countable, but everyone adds the Tenerife birds, cause they might actually be.
Of course that's supposed to read "... there's currently NO population (...) that's countable"

Anyways, I've seen the species in Barcelona and am inclined to count those birds, even though the Tenerife birds have better credentials

Last edited:
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Colombia
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Colombia

Users who are viewing this thread