• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tennessee Warbler? Or Nashville Warbler? Nashville, TN 19 Sept 21 (1 Viewer)

hamlinjk15u

United States
Admittedly tough photos to analyze, but sadly with the weather today, these may be the most detailed photos I have from the day. I am seeing dark or yellow on top, yellow chest, white undersides. Possibly dark eyebrow or eye streak. If no actual eyestreak, leaning to winter male Nashville Warbler. If eyestreak is real and not a lighting thing, then thinking Tennessee.

Again, admittedly this is a tough one. Appreciate any help.

Attachments

• DSC_0065.JPG
    DSC_0065.JPG
    566.7 KB · Views: 51
  • DSC_0067.JPG
    DSC_0067.JPG
    405.4 KB · Views: 51
  • DSC_0068.JPG
    DSC_0068.JPG
    466.2 KB · Views: 49
  • DSC_0069.JPG
    DSC_0069.JPG
    687.8 KB · Views: 52
From the features visible I would say that the white undetail coverts, small bill and shortish tail all point to Tennessee Warbler. I tried playing around in PS with the lighting, and cannot make out an eye-ring, but a supercilium is visible, albeit backlit, so another pro Tennessee feature.

Stu

Thanks guys. I know these are super rough photos, the lighting was terrible due to cloudy/rainy weather and somewhat heavy topcover creating heavy shadowing. I wasn't 100% sure I'd get any responses at all. Thank you 2

I do not think it is positively identifiable but there appear to be wing bars in the last photo so I might throw Chestnut-sided into the mix although I'd expect that species might show a cocked tail.

Last edited:
I do not think it is positively identifiable but there appear to be wing bars in the last photo so I might throw Chestnut-sided into the mix although I'd expect that species might show a coked tail.
I saw that too, but I think it's just a result of the poor photo quality and the edges of the coverts. I've noticed that the edges of the coverts on Tennessee can sometimes make it look like there are wing bars.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back