• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tento 10x50 binocular (1 Viewer)

shsohrab

Iran
I use Russian binoculars due to their very high quality
I have a Tento 10x50 binocular
A red dot or mark is printed on one side of the Tento 10x50 binocular where the brand is written
I want to make sure that this binocular is original or fake and why this red dot is engraved on this binocular
Can you help me
I have attached the photos of the binocular
Thank you very much

Attachments

• IMG-20210531-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20210531-WA0003.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG-20210531-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20210531-WA0004.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG-20210531-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20210531-WA0005.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG-20210531-WA0006.jpg
    IMG-20210531-WA0006.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG-20210531-WA0007.jpg
    IMG-20210531-WA0007.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 31
I use Russian binoculars due to their very high quality
I have a Tento 10x50 binocular
A red dot or mark is printed on one side of the Tento 10x50 binocular where the brand is written
I want to make sure that this binocular is original or fake and why this red dot is engraved on this binocular
Can you help me
I have attached the photos of the binocular
Thank you very much
That red dot looks like a sticker to me, probably used by a store or previous owner. This is an inexpensive binocular (about 30GPB in used condition), therefore the risk for fake copies should be very small.

Thank you
Allbinos review of the these binos is not bad at all,
and the users opinion is also quite good (score: 4.81/5)
so you have a very usable pair of binos.

Hi,

looks fine to me - Tento was a soviet foreign trade organization which sold soviet industry goods abroad for hard dollars. Your particular example comes from 3OM3 or ZOMZ aka Zagorsk Optical-Mechanical Plant - nowadays also trading as SOTEM.

Basically close to a CZJ Dekarem without the fancy Zeiss Jena name and can be had for a song.

Enjoy the view!

Joachim, who has a ZOMZ 7x50 which is among the top contenders for best value at the 20 or 30€ which these go for.

Hi Annie,

first of all, welcome to BF!

If you can source a working example for sth like 30 to 50 USD, it is a workable entry level option. Disadvantages are 10x magnification which is too much to hold steady for some (8x is the default magnification for general birding used by most) and of course the size and weight (didn't find data but probably 900-1000g).

Joachim

Last edited:
I agree with Jring: a good 10-power Tento center focus is not a bad option. You might also consider a 7-power if one comes up for sale.

More than once I've been accused of being a terrible snob, but I do have trouble believing that you can get a usable binocular for US $50.

My late Brother-in-Law once showed me a pair of $50 binoculars that he was quite proud of having gotten for that price.

I couldn't even look through them ........... they pulled the eyes right out of your head

I have never looked through anything so awful, before or since.

Last edited:
Hi,

not sure what used prices are stateside... Over here in germany you can get a (well used but optically ok) Hensoldt DF 8x30 for 50€ (ok, a bit over 50 USD atm), which the german army paid Zeiss $$$ for many years ago - of course you have to get rid of the reticule (which is a 10 minute job with the right tools) and get used to IF, which is not optimal for warblers...

The usual soviet or russian CF pair can be had for 30€ or so and they are optically surprisingly good for the money - usually close to the respective CZF model.
The fit and finish is of course soviet utilitarian... it works and can be repaired with a hammer.
Soviet pairs are usually better mechanically but not multicoated (first two digits of the serial number are year of manufacture - if you get a late 80s one you might be lucky and get soviet mechanics and multicoatings), the russian ones (especially early in the 90s) are quite hit and miss in QC...

Joachim

Hi Annie,

posting a link to a pair of bins you intend to buy (as opposed to sell) is ok per forum rules...

Joachim

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back