• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tern and Gulls - SW Florida (1 Viewer)

jocateme

I'd appreciate some help on the ID of these gulls and terns spotted this month in SW Florida.

#1 - North Naples. I'm pretty sure it is some immature gull (Herring? Ring-billed?), but would love confirmartion.

#2 - North Naples. I wonder if the tern in the front, slightly to the right of the center (as well some others in the back with an equally reddish bill), could be Caspian?

#3 - Lido Key, Sarasota. Lesser Black-backed Gull?

#4 & #5 (same individual) - Longboat Key. Lesser Black-backed Gull?

Attachments

• IMG_0764.jpg
    IMG_0764.jpg
    257 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_1198.jpg
    IMG_1198.jpg
    315.5 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_2193.jpg
    IMG_2193.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_2352.jpg
    IMG_2352.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_2353.jpg
    IMG_2353.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 65
you are mostly right:
1. are two american herring gulls, 1st cycles.
2. is a royal tern with a red bill. caspian tern's bill is differently shaped, even bigger but not as pointed and has a blackish subterminal mark. caspian tern doesn't have such a long crest, either.
3-5. are LBBGs indeed.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot, Lou! Didn't know Royal's bill color varied that much.

Here are two more gulls, both in Longboat Key, which I'm fairly certain of the ID, but would highly appreciate confirmation:

#6 - Bonaparte's Gull?

#7 - I guess it's just a Laughing Gull, but it's the only one I've seen with this pinkish tone to the underparts. Is this normal?

Attachments

• IMG_2426.jpg
    IMG_2426.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_2443.jpg
    IMG_2443.jpg
    342.7 KB · Views: 45
both correct; rosy tone to underparts can be present in a few individuals. many hooded gulls share this form but some species are more prone to it.

4 looks like Ring-billed Gull.

The picture of the terns on the beach is awesome. What set-up did you use? Did you do post-processing on that image?

Ditto to Lou on all; I can see 3 terns in the flock with strongly red-toned bills, but they're all Royal, not Caspian, on bill and crest shape - the only non-Royals in the flock are the Skimmers at the back right. That gull #4 I can see the temptation to say Ring-billed, but look closely, there's a hint of a red spot just in from the black ring; also the mantle is much too dark for R-bG - it's a subadult (probably 4th year, maybe 3rd year) Lesser Black-back.

Hi everyone,

Tom, this is the tern I was referring to, as I thought its red bill suggested Caspian, but, as Lou and Nutcracker pointed out, I guess Royals may have red bills as well!

Like Dialyt, I initially thought the gull on pic #4 looked like Ring-billed, but you can clearly see the red spot in pic #5. This, together with the dark back, made me think it rather looked like Lesser Black-backed.

Thanks all for the insights and Nutcracker for the clarification!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back