• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

tern ID, Spore (1 Viewer)

wuwu1277

In the second set of birds from post 18, there are at least two 1 cy White-Winged Terns among them.
Its the left bird on the horizontal bar and the small preening bird just right front of the center sitting on the pond.
Both show the right head pattern with much white above and behind eye, small all dark bill and a dark brownish, nearly black saddle of retainend juvenile feathers.

Other birds of the post 18 are Whiskered Terns or are unidable to me. I am not sure about the two preening birds on the far left corner just before the vertical bar. They might also be White-Winged Terns by head pattern, but they are not easy judged (more pictures or other comments, so I can learn?)
If I had to put a name on all birds from post 18, I would say, Whiskered Terns and 2-4 White Winged Terns.

Hi, Alexander: Today, I went to the same place and managed to get some photos when the terns flied closer. I am quite sure of those whiskered terns already. however the following 3 images for your final confirmation. Thank you so much!

Attachments

• j030.jpg
    j030.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 28
  • j031.jpg
    j031.jpg
    273.8 KB · Views: 18
  • j032.jpg
    j032.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 17

sicklebill

Agree with Alexander about the tern flock being mainly Whiskered and a couple of White-winged Blacks, and your last 3 are Whiskered for sure

SteveClifton

Dear sicklebill: thank you so much for the confirmation!

Just before this thread winds down, thought it worth mentioning the juvenile tern on the lower left of each picture in post 18. Its bill looks too long for WWBT and I'm struggling to see another Whiskered.

Is Black Tern a possibility in the region? because that's what it looks like to me.

Btw I also agree with all Whiskered Terns in post 21.

viator

Singapore
Just before this thread winds down, thought it worth mentioning the juvenile tern on the lower left of each picture in post 18. Its bill looks too long for WWBT and I'm struggling to see another Whiskered.

Is Black Tern a possibility in the region? because that's what it looks like to me.

Btw I also agree with all Whiskered Terns in post 21.

They don't winter anywhere near Sth East Asia.

wuwu1277

Dear All:
Thank all of you so much!
I managed to get some images closer to the terns last Sunday in Spore. Can I confirm with you this is a white-winged tern? Many thanks again!

Attachments

• M022a.jpg
    M022a.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 33
  • M024a.jpg
    M024a.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 26

Users who are viewing this thread