• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tern sp ID (1 Viewer)

HI All, Saw this tern (marked) on Brownsea Island Lagoon 30072022.
I got a few pics before everything went up! I do have a theory... But has anyone seen this bird in and around Poole Harbour or ever seen a Common with an oversized tail?
Natural variation in this species for instance?
Thanks

Attachments

• ternspweb1.jpg
    ternspweb1.jpg
    483.8 KB · Views: 90
  • ternspweb.jpg
    ternspweb.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 88
Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like. ;)

I agree with Andrew after doing a google search on images of terns.

It's not the only one is it? The bird to the left for example with extensive black on the bill, long tail streamers—even allowing for the drooping wings—and pale mantle.
I didn't notice the arrows and actually was looking at that bird and not the one asleep with the arrow pointing at it. I suspect they're both Roseates.

Well ,that bird you mention didn't seem to go down well when I put the news out, In fact it made me doubt myself! But yes I thought more than one.
The problem was a lot of Terns were in the way while I was trying to ID these two and the Birds were very jumpy so I had to stop watching and chance some photos which meant I didn't have long views to say the least!

More of the left hand bird in pic.

Attachments

• rosey2B.JPG
    rosey2B.JPG
    258.6 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back