• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tern species (Greece, Europe) (1 Viewer)

Dimitra_v

Greece
On May 5th I went to a birding hotspot but not for birding (I was upset). I only managed to get these bad pictures. This is probably a lifer for me. I thought at first that it was a common tern but the swallow-like forked tail is clearly not there. I am confused because I have little experience with terns, but this is a whiskered tern, right? The shape and length of the tail seems good, though you can't really see the gray body because of the bad lighting. Some color is visible on the slender bill and its looks reddish.

Attachments

• P1120236.JPG
    P1120236.JPG
    5.4 MB · Views: 46
  • P1120237.JPG
    P1120237.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 47
  • P1120238.JPG
    P1120238.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 46
Hello Dimitra,
a Whiskered Tern can be excluded by to long bill and pale belly.
I agree with Butty, its a Little Tern:
  • narrow blackish edge to wing by blackish outer primaries
  • the right jizz with long bill and short tail = chicken-like jizz
  • and narrow scissor like wings, against a Whiskered Tern

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back