• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Terns in SiRacha - 19 January 2021 (1 Viewer)

Aladdin

Supporter
Thailand
Dear members and bird watchers!

Attached pictures is Terns that I have ID as White Winged and Whiskered Terns.

Picture 1+2 White-winged Tern, no breeding and black bill. Red legs as per my book. The tip of the wing is also darker than the rest of the wing as in my book

Picture 3-6 I have ID this birds as Whiskered tern as they have dark redish bill, red legs and more uniform colour of the wing.

They were all fishing in a huge group, 90 % Black-naped Terns and the rest Whiskered / White-winged Terns. + one Pacific Reef Heron fishing together with the Terns in the wake of the boats.

Any one that can confirm my ID of these birds?

Kind regards and happy birding
Aladdin

Attachments

• WhiteWinged2.jpg
    WhiteWinged2.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 20
  • WhiteWinged.jpg
    WhiteWinged.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 20
  • Whiskered4.jpg
    Whiskered4.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 19
  • Whiskered3.jpg
    Whiskered3.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 18
  • Whiskered2.jpg
    Whiskered2.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 18
  • Whiskered.jpg
    Whiskered.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 20

Alexander Stöhr

Agree with Lou,
please note the following features:
-extensive dark streaks in the cap
-dark cap reaching far down the neck and even joining dark mantle in a few of your birds)
- lack of "ear-phone and white wedge cutting in on ear coverts. As a result, dark cap has even border at ear-coverts.

Hardest picture for me is bird one, but typicall head pattern seems just visible and all other features combines to the jizz of a Whiskered Tern for me, too, I m not on the best screen right now).

THE_FERN

Agree with Lou,
please note the following features:
-extensive dark streaks in the cap
-dark cap reaching far down the neck and even joining dark mantle in a few of your birds)
- lack of "ear-phone and white wedge cutting in on ear coverts. As a result, dark cap has even border at ear-coverts.

Hardest picture for me is bird one, but typicall head pattern seems just visible and all other features combines to the jizz of a Whiskered Tern for me, too, I m not on the best screen right now).
Also agree. Would add "chunky/deep bill" visible on some as a character

Aladdin

Supporter
Thailand
Thank you Iou, Fern and Alexander!

It say black bill, I might imagine it, but some of the bills look almost black, but there looks to be some dark, very dark red in the bill.

Whiskered Tern it is.

Appreciated!

Kind regards
Aladdin

Users who are viewing this thread