• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Terrible pic of flying bird (bittern?) Dhaka, Bangladesh (1 Viewer)

Seth Miller

United States
I saw this bird flying through Dhaka, Bangladesh from my apartment. My first thought was little cormorant since I see those fly over relatively often, but then when I zoomed in with my camera I was sure it wasn't. Shape and flight style were both wrong. I noticed that it had slow wing beats, and relatively large wings compared to the body. Was only able to get one picture before it flew behind a neighboring building. My current tentative hypothesis is bittern, maybe cinnamon? I know this probably is not identifiable, but would appreciate any help.

Attachments

• P1080872.jpg
    P1080872.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 93
It is a fairly short-legged and slim heron. So I guess bittern isn't a bad call... but more specific than that?

There are three bittern species that are seen at a location a few kilometers from my house. Black which is quite hard to see in general, and cinnamon and yellow bitterns which are more common. I myself have only seen cinnamon there, but others have seen all of them. My bird book shows yellow as having an extensive light patch on the upper wing and cinnamon as uniform on the upper wing. I can't see the light patch on the wing in my picture, but then I'm not sure if my picture would show it with how poor quality it is.

Hadn't seen your post Paul Leader. That's a good point, though I am a little loath to accept it as black bittern just by that since it would be a lifer...

Last edited:
Well now an expert local birder suggested Striated Heron. The form of the bird fits that, and they are much more common actually in the city.

I thought about an immature / non breeding, but those seem to have white wings as well. Maybe an immature Black-crowned night heron could be a possibility?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back