• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Testing binoculars (1 Viewer)

laika

Here are some examples from www.kikkertspesialisten.no

Swarovski 10x50 SLC WB get 10/12points for resolution and 9-/12 for image brightness.
Swarovski 8x32 EL get 10/12 for resolution and 7+/12 for image brigthness.

Everyone accept that the biggest binocular is the brightest one,but why give both binoculars 10 points for resolution? You can of course see more details with the one with highest magnification!.

Someone will of course say it is wrong to compare 8x magnification to 10x,but why is it then OK to compare a 50mm lense with a 32mm when speaking about brightness?

In fact, resolution is related to aperature (Dawes Limit), so comparing binoculars with different objective lens sizes makes no technical sense. So why compare at all? I think these comparisons are just so people can have a starting point. My personal favorite binoculars are 10 power, one pair with 32 mm objectives and one pair with 42 mm objectives, and one pair roof prism and one pair porro prism. But that is only after using many different binocs. I still found all of the reviews usefull, as a starting point.

Art Thorn said:
In fact, resolution is related to aperature (Dawes Limit), so comparing binoculars with different objective lens sizes makes no technical sense. So why compare at all? I think these comparisons are just so people can have a starting point. My personal favorite binoculars are 10 power, one pair with 32 mm objectives and one pair with 42 mm objectives, and one pair roof prism and one pair porro prism. But that is only after using many different binocs. I still found all of the reviews usefull, as a starting point.

In practice resolution is determined not just by aperture, but also by optical quality, and optical design. Aperture sets the upper theoretical limit.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back