• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Texas birds that look like sparrows, but walk instead of bouncing. Possibly prairie birds. (1 Viewer)

Tired

United States
1609778203905.png 1609778212179.png
Sorry about the picture quality, the camera couldn't seem to find them to focus on. These guys were at Berry Springs, which is an area that has some prairie restoration efforts going on around it. They have a few acres of prairie grass and the like, near a river.
These little guys were about the size of sparrows. I could see maybe 30 of them at once. The really interesting thing was that they were walking around, like doves, instead of hopping like sparrows do. Does anyone have any idea what they might be?
I'm going to try for a better photo today (the park is open enough to easily not get close to anyone else), but I don't know if I'll be able to find them again.

lou salomon

the birdonist
these are pipits (genus Anthus). they look like American Pipits to me but i can't exclude Sprague's Pipit from these images. someone from your side of the pond should nail them.

rkj

Hard to tell for sure, but Sprague's Pipit has a strongly streaked back that I do not see here and is usually solitary, so a flock of 30 is likely American Pipit.

Deb Burhinus

Used to be well known! ๐Ÿ˜Ž
Europe
Hi Tired (me too ๐Ÿ˜‰!) I agree these are pipits but canโ€™t help with the sp.

Just wanted to say welcome to Birdforum ๐Ÿ™‚

Tired

United States
Cool, thank you. I've never seen such little birds that walk around, these were a real surprise.

I'll try for a better picture. I'm going back with a better camera. These were right by the parking lot last time, I took the pictures leaning out my window, so hopefully they'll be in an easily spotted area again.

Andy Adcock

England
these are pipits (genus Anthus). they look like American Pipits to me but i can't exclude Sprague's Pipit from these images. someone from your side of the pond should nail them.
You think they're seperable oon this view?

Buff-bellied is a better name than American (and I think, more widely used?) as they are not restricted to America

Users who are viewing this thread