• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Texas Weather Information (1 Viewer)

Terraplane29

United States
Finally got my Covid vaccination. Like most everyone I'm really wanting to go someplace and bird. I've been doing mostly overseas trips since I retired, but I'm staying out of planes for now. My birding partner in Atlanta and I thought Texas would be a good bet. We've been there 3 times so since there's not much of a chance of new species so it would be a bird photo trip. But, there's an issue. My chocolate lab trail and backpacking buddy Duncan is 14 and has been diagnosed with lymphoma. He doesn't have much time left, and I owe it to him to be here when he moves on. So we probably won't make migration, even the later stuff. One question is, how far into the summer is it worth visiting, comfort wise? I'm 71, and my thermostat's not what it used to be. The plan is to start around Aransas, work down the coast to Brownsville, then up the Valley to Falcon. We don't have a problem going out early and late (light's better anyway) and then hole up during the hot part of the day. What can we expect weather-wise during early to middle summer, and will there be enough local species around and visible during post-breeding dispersal to make it worthwhile? (Yeah, I know that's subjective.) I'd really appreciate any comments, suggestions, and info. Thanks!

Early to mid-summer at the middle TX coast around Port Aransas/Aransas Pass is fairly warm. Daytime highs are usually 88-96 degrees, lows in the upper 70's to occasionally low 80's. However, temps are lower if you are on the coast itself. Just remember that it is always quite humid at that time of the year. South TX is usually hotter, but it depends on exactly where you are. The further west you go from the coast, the hotter it gets. Mid-summer around Falcon Lake/Del Rio is quite hot, with most days in the mid to upper 90's.

Mid-July to Mid-Sept. is the hottest time of the year, and on a really hot year you can add 3-6 degrees. In 2011 almost the entire summer was in the triple-digits. If you are going to come during the summer, I would advise you to come in June or the first half of July. Also keep in mind that tropical activity for the TX coast can be quite high during this time of year.

As for variety of birds - well... you can probably see shorebirds/water birds in the mid-coastal area, and more species in south TX at the popular birding areas along the border. Personally though, I wouldn't come all the way here at that time of year, since there isn't going to be a great variety. Better to come in the Fall, and bird in south TX (or the Spring, and bird everywhere). I would think that Florida would be a better mid-summer destination than TX.

Good luck, whatever you decide!

Thanks so much for your reply, the information is just what I was looking for. As mentioned, my tolerance for hot and humid has diminished. Since the timing is dependent on factors outside of my control, if the situation is resolved by then guess I'd consider the first of second week of June, but not later. Maybe some relaxing time at the lookouts on Hawk Mountain this fall.... in any event, thanks again.

Just to give you an idea as to the weather around the Falcon Lake area, the high temp. later this week is forecast to be 99-100. The McAllen area, where there are great birding areas, will be about 98-99. And it's just the beginning of April. That is why I don't go down to the Valley (general term for the Rio Grande Valley area of S. TX) between April and November........

I just checked my field notes and my Birders Diary (not on eBird yet) for Texas entries, turns out my two trips were in January of 1986 (memorable as that was when the Challenger explosion occurred) and early May of 2011. '86 was coast and valley, and 2011 was coast, valley, and Big Bend, then a bit north for the Golden-cheeked. I just talked with my partner and we decided to bag Texas for now, we're gonna do a couple of pelagic trips off of Hatteras in July or August to get some ocean bird photos - work on our birds in flight techniques, hit a few local refuges, and just hang out. Have a few drinks and catch up. This is as much a social trip as anything. Again, thanks.

Finally got my Covid vaccination. Like most everyone I'm really wanting to go someplace and bird. I've been doing mostly overseas trips since I retired, but I'm staying out of planes for now. My birding partner in Atlanta and I thought Texas would be a good bet. We've been there 3 times so since there's not much of a chance of new species so it would be a bird photo trip. But, there's an issue. My chocolate lab trail and backpacking buddy Duncan is 14 and has been diagnosed with lymphoma. He doesn't have much time left, and I owe it to him to be here when he moves on. So we probably won't make migration, even the later stuff. One question is, how far into the summer is it worth visiting, comfort wise? I'm 71, and my thermostat's not what it used to be. The plan is to start around Aransas, work down the coast to Brownsville, then up the Valley to Falcon. We don't have a problem going out early and late (light's better anyway) and then hole up during the hot part of the day. What can we expect weather-wise during early to middle summer, and will there be enough local species around and visible during post-breeding dispersal to make it worthwhile? (Yeah, I know that's subjective.) I'd really appreciate any comments, suggestions, and info. Thanks!
Birded Texas this past April, both the Rio Grande Valley and the coastal areas. I left the RGV days early due to the daytime heat/humidity. Something to keep in mind is that many of the birding hotspots remove their feeders after March 31. Made birding that much more challenging.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back