• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thailand Dec 13-Jan 14 (1 Viewer)

schiffornis

AWBirder
I've just posted my Thailand birding trip report to my blog: http://awbirder.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/thailand-trip-report.html

I recorded 460 species on this 3 week trip, highlights Spoon-billed Sandpiper, Chinese Egret, Nordmann's Greenshank, Eared Pitta, Blue Pitta, Great Nuthatch, Ratchet-tailed Treepie, Great Hornbill and a lot more! Also Thailands second record of Long-tailed Duck!

Main sites visited included Pak Thale, Laem Pak Bia, Kaeng Krachan, Doi Inthanon, Doi Chiang Dao, Doi Lang, Chiang Saen etc...

Cheers, Andy

A very comprehensive and readable report - superb to get views and even a shot of Eared Pitta!

Cheers
Mike

Excellent trip report! Congrats on the Black-tailed Crakes in particular; I asked around about them at Mr. Daeng's and there apparently has been only one sighting of them at the campground stakeout this season (which must be you). They're still easy to hear, but have gotten very difficult to see as the grass has grown longer.

I was in Thailand for a couple weeks around the same time as you (with Dom Davidson), and have a few additional sightings to report in case people are reading this thread for info. My photos are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tremarctos/.

Doi Lang:
1. 3 Hume's Pheasant crossed the road from Fang about half way from the beginning of the pine woods to the small section of broad-leaved forest with a bunch of photographer stakeouts.
2. Giant Nuthatches were not uncommon in the pine forest.
3. We saw one Long-tailed Thrush about 200 meters from the top from the Fang approach.
4. Hodgson's Frogmouth was heard in response to playback in a couple places in mixed forest near the beginning of the pure pine forest. It only called once, and did not come in. Apparently, it is much more responsive after mid February.
5. Going up the other side (from Thaton), there is a very large bridge. Soon before this bridge there is a much smaller bridge from which you can see a bamboo-lined gully. We saw a mixed flock of Red-billed Scimitar-babblers, Collared Babblers, and Pale-billed Parrotbills here. The Parrotbill was also in bamboo further down the road.

Doi Inthanon:
1. We saw one White-rumped Falcon about 2.4 kilometers along the kilometer 13 track.
2. A small group of Black-throated Parrotbills joined a mixed flock near the beginning of kilometer 34.
3. We also had Eyebrowed Wren-babbler on the km 37.5 track.

Laem Pak Bia:
1. There were at least two Far-eastern Curlews in a big flock of Eurasian Curlew at Pak Thale. Also, two Spoon-billed Sandpipers.
2. The water was too rough for the boat trip to the sand spit, but we found a pair of Malaysian Plovers resting on rocks offshore from the small town with restaurants south of the shorebird sites.
3. 13 Asian Dowitchers were mixed in with a large number of Black-tailed Godwits in a salt pan behind the abandoned building.
4. If you have trouble finding Nordmann's Greenshanks during the day, they are apparently reliable early in the morning (before 7:30) at Laem Pak Bia Salt Farms.

Kaeng Krachan:
1. We saw a different Eared Pitta along the trail between the second and third stream crossing. It wasn't vocal, and was instead detected by rustling leaves. I tried to get photos, but I couldn't find it in my viewfinder and only ended up with leaves.
2. We had one Blue Pitta on the same trail as the Eared Pitta, and another at the Lung Sin Hide (no Eared Pitta for us there, though).
3. Grey-peacock Pheasant was also seen on the aforementioned trail.
4. We heard a White-fronted Scops-owl from behind the campground most nights. One night, we crossed the stream behind the campground and had nice views of it. Oriental Bay-owl was calling in the distance, but we could not approach it without walking past the gate.

See this thread in the mammal forum for my mammal sightings: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=2932548#post2932548

Excellent trip report! Congrats on the Black-tailed Crakes in particular; I asked around about them at Mr. Daeng's and there apparently has been only one sighting of them at the campground stakeout this season (which must be you). They're still easy to hear, but have gotten very difficult to see as the grass has grown longer.

I was in Thailand for a couple weeks around the same time as you (with Dom Davidson), and have a few additional sightings to report in case people are reading this thread for info. My photos are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tremarctos/.

Hi Thanks for adding your sightings, shame we didn't bump into each other while we were over there! Sounds like you had some really good birds too!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back