• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thailand egret id help please (1 Viewer)

bhutjoe

Hi, I am still trying to work my way around egret ID:), I am seeking confirmation and/or correction on these egrets. The first photo of the 3 egrets shows, I think, from left to right a great egret, a little egret and a cattle egret. It is the little egret that I am unsure if it is actually an intermediate egret.

The second photo shows the same bird from a different angle, focusing on its beak colour and eye. I noticed the bill of the cattle egret behind it seems rather orangish with a black tip (though maybe it is just the photo). The cattle egrets are about 6 feet behind it.

The third photo is a different egret, taken in a location about a kilometer away from the first two photos. I believe this is a little egret based on its running, colour of bill and I think I can see a yellow foot.
Comments, corrections etc appreciated.
thank you in advance
steve

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_dfb.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_dfb.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 53
  • fullsizeoutput_dff.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_dff.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 48
  • fullsizeoutput_dfa.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_dfa.jpeg
    212.4 KB · Views: 39

THE_FERN

The left hand egret in the first pic is actually the best candidate for intermediate. I agree the neck looks long but the gape line doesn't extend beyond the eye as it should in great egret. Great egret normally has a noticeable kink in the neck which we can't see here

johnallcock

First two pics are Intermediate, Little and Cattle (L-R in first pic, R-L in second). Size, structure and bill shape all fit Intermediate rather than Great.

Third is a Little Egret.

THE_FERN

First two pics are Intermediate, Little and Cattle (L-R in first pic, R-L in second). Size, structure and bill shape all fit Intermediate rather than Great.

Third is a Little Egret.

I think we're looking at 2 cattle egrets and a little in pic 2. Can't make that pic 2 RH bird into something with a long enough neck and a slim enough bill.

Users who are viewing this thread