• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thailand November 2021 - Seabird in Gulf of Thailand - Bongkot Gasfield (1 Viewer)

Aladdin

Thailand
Dear Members and Bird watchers

I spotted this bird for the second time in Gulf Of Thailand at the Gas installation at the Bongkot Gas field. But I never managed to get any pictures.

Of course it is hard to estimate the size at sea, but I would say it is a small gull size

Seen from above and it is dark grey all the way from the head down to where the wing ends on the back. Then it is white to the end of the tail and the tail ends with a black band.

The bird look like a M when it is not flapping the wings if you understand what I mean

The underside is not so easy to see, but it looks to be while all the way to the head, the belly is for sure white.

I have looked in my "Birds of Thailand" and I have even checked the wader section but I have not found any bird with this VIEW FROM THE ABOVE LOOK in my book.

Anyone having any idea? Would be highly appreciated

Kind Regards and happy birding!
Aladdin

Dear Members and Bird watchers

I spotted this bird for the second time in Gulf Of Thailand at the Gas installation at the Bongkot Gas field. But I never managed to get any pictures.

Of course it is hard to estimate the size at sea, but I would say it is a small gull size

Seen from above and it is dark grey all the way from the head down to where the wing ends on the back. Then it is white to the end of the tail and the tail ends with a black band.

The bird look like a M when it is not flapping the wings if you understand what I mean

The underside is not so easy to see, but it looks to be while all the way to the head, the belly is for sure white.

I have looked in my "Birds of Thailand" and I have even checked the wader section but I have not found any bird with this VIEW FROM THE ABOVE LOOK in my book.

Anyone having any idea? Would be highly appreciated

Kind Regards and happy birding!
Aladdin
Aladdin hi,
When you say that the back/wings of the bird are grey, do you mean concolourously so…ie just grey with no black lines or patterning?

Cheers

Aladdin hi,
When you say that the back/wings of the bird are grey, do you mean concolourously so…ie just grey with no black lines or patterning?

Cheers
Dear KenM

The whole bird is dark grey looking from above. From head including the wings. The body is white from the back of the wings until the tail that ends in a black band. The only black I can see is the black band on the end of the tail.

I have seen the birds two times now but no pictures as it is bad weather in Gulf of Thailand.

Kind regards
Aladdin

Dear KenM

The whole bird is dark grey looking from above. From head including the wings. The body is white from the back of the wings until the tail that ends in a black band. The only black I can see is the black band on the end of the tail.

I have seen the birds two times now but no pictures as it is bad weather in Gulf of Thailand.

Kind regards
Aladdin
Regarding “movement” Aladdin, is the flight kinda languid/ much gliding ie gull like, or with faster more frenetic wing beats like a “smaller” bird?

Cheers

Regarding “movement” Aladdin, is the flight kinda languid/ much gliding ie gull like, or with faster more frenetic wing beats like a “smaller” bird?

Cheers
Cheers!

The bird is gliding and when it comes up it is almost straight wings, but turning to get down and the bird looks like an M like other sea birds I have seen.

Kind regards
Aladdin

I th
Cheers!

The bird is gliding and when it comes up it is almost straight wings, but turning to get down and the bird looks like an M like other sea birds I have seen.

Kind regards
Aladdin
I assume I’m missing the obvious Aladdin, I can’t compute a seabird of that description…think we need an image.👍

Cheers

I th

I assume I’m missing the obvious Aladdin, I can’t compute a seabird of that description…think we need an image.👍

Cheers
Thank you!

I really will try to get a picture. But both times it have been gloom and grey with rain.

I will come back if I see the bird again and if I can get a picture

Kind regards
Aladdin

I th

Cheers
Dear KenM

In Sweden to look for birds of prey. I emptied my camera from the pictures. I have a look at one of the pictures and I thought it was empty. But actually the bird is in the upper left corner. It took off when I took the picture.

And it is a very poor picture so it is a real long shot to try to ID the bird from this picture.

Kind Regards and happy birding
Aladdin

Attachments

• 3Y0A3027.jpg
    3Y0A3027.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 31
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back