• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

That Lincoln - Song Again! (1 Viewer)

chris baker

First 2 pix when taken, gotta be dead easy to ID, nope, poss Song Variant?
No3 I've got as a Lincoln's

No4, again thought it would be easy, grey headed, rufuos chest streaks, sharp shinned variant?

Appreciate any input from the experts.

Attachments

• No 1.jpg
    No 1.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 91
  • No 2.jpg
    No 2.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 91
  • No-3.jpg
    No-3.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 98
  • No 4.jpg
    No 4.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 110
I would go with Song Sparrow for the first two photos, Lincoln's sparrow for the third, and tentatively agree with Sharp-shinned Hawk for the fourth -- which I think is pretty much what you are suggesting. But where and when were these taken? Especially the hawk.

Best,
Jim

All were taken in April this year, SE Arizona.

The Song, San Pedro House
The Lincoln, Madera Canyon
The Hawk, Whitewater Draw near Bisbee

Would the Song be a SW Variant?

If the grey on the hawks cheeks is correct, it would fit an older male Cooper´s better. You can barely see the darker crown behind the eye.Tail looks Sharp-shinned like but the whitish tips appears tp be rather broad and the corners are not that squarish, but beware of moult. Perhaps not a favourable angle to judge from - body loks fat though and the secondarie barring is hardly visible, also indicating male.

JanJ

If the grey on the hawks cheeks is correct, it would fit an older male Cooper´s better. You can barely see the darker crown behind the eye.Tail looks Sharp-shinned like but the whitish tips appears tp be rather broad and the corners are not that squarish, but beware of moult. Perhaps not a favourable angle to judge from - body loks fat though and the secondarie barring is hardly visible, also indicating male.

JanJ

I would agree with JanJ's caution on the accipiter. If you look at the left side of the tail (bird's left), you can see the tip of what is likely the outermost tail feather, and it is clearly shorter than the others, so suggesting Cooper's. The tail seems squared, but the corners are softly rounded. Pretty solid body-build, latter two both suggesting Cooper's. The angle makes it hard to assess how far the head extends in front of the wings.
CHEERS, JOE G

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back