• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The 10X42 HT compared to the SF and SV (2 Viewers)

FL>EDG but only slightly so. I have only had both binoculars a VERY short time...FL<wk and EDG<2 weeks...so I haven't spent all that much time with them.

This is the first 42mm FL I've owned or even handled. I can't help but ask myself, "Why the HT?" The FL is lighter, smaller, and really nothing to complain about so far. Too early to tell but it may very well be my favorite Zeiss binocular...

I thought the same about the FL, but thought the HT showed slightly better colors. The edge distortion never bothered me. The 7x42 was an amazing pair of binoculars.

The FL is lighter, smaller, and really nothing to complain about so far. Too early to tell but it may very well be my favorite Zeiss binocular...

As an FL user for 12 years and HT user for 4 I agree that if you look for things to definitely complain about in FL then you could spend a long time looking.

For me HT was a nice step forward though with a touch better colours, more detail in shadows and much better handling. But does this take anything away from FL? I don't think so. I still have an FL 8x32 and its a gem.

Lee

Will the FL show clean, pinpoint stars, and flare and spike free bright light sources at night ? That's one of the only faults I found in the HT, not a problem in daylight viewing though.

Hi from Italy

Yesterday I and my daughter went into an oasis of northern Italy. We were observing with the Zeiss Victory HT 8x42 and the Zeiss Victory 8x42 SF. My daughter has approached a Galaxy S7 Edge to the eyepieces so we have decided to organize a riddle for you.
Obviously it's just a game because it is almost impossible to get perfect photos with this method. However: you will only see the middle part of the two images. Which is the one obtained with the Zeiss HT? On my website you can see a photo at 2000 px.
Kind Regards from italy
Piergiovanni, Ersilia

http://www.binomania.it/indovinello_zeiss/

Attachments

• Forum_Zeiss_vs_Zeiss.jpg
    Forum_Zeiss_vs_Zeiss.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 216
Hi Binastro,

To me, the left one. Anyway, this kind of "test", seeing pictures uploaded are not too accurate...
I say the left one because the details that can be seen in the shadows...

PHA

There is a relative 5% drop in the red and a 5% increase in the blue between left and right images. That looks like it might be a colour temperature difference to me. I sent a PM to Piergiovani this morning asking if his daughter was able to switch off auto white balance correction on the phone but not had a reply so far. I should have asked about exposure as well. The left image is 15% brighter than the right. Anyone think that these numbers reflect the transmission difference between the SF and HT?

David

There is a relative 5% drop in the red and a 5% increase in the blue between left and right images. That looks like it might be a colour temperature difference to me. I sent a PM to Piergiovani this morning asking if his daughter was able to switch off auto white balance correction on the phone but not had a reply so far. I should have asked about exposure as well. The left image is 15% brighter than the right. Anyone think that these numbers reflect the transmission difference between the SF and HT?

David
Hi David,

Yes, that did trouble me - the LHS image is obviously brighter, and thus would point to the greater transmission of the HT, however, the LHS image also shows a decidedly yellow warm colour cast (which would point to the SF), whereas the RHS image has a much more pronounced blue colour cast which only the HT could transmit. :brains:

Either way, I figure something wonky has gone on in unintended adjustment of either brightness, or colour ..... :cat:

I think it's likely that the brightness levels are not a correct representation through the bins - that's why I called RHS = HT ....... it could easily be entirely the opposite way around too! :h?: :-O

Chosun :gh:

Okay Pier,

I will have a crack - Right hand side = HT . :king:

Do I win my pair of SF's now? Pretty please?? :-O o:D

You are correct, and here is the reason why. The SF has such a wide
FOV that it offers much more brightness, and it shows.

That is my impression, a very nice, and very bright view.

That is why Pier offered this pic, just to show off how good the SF is, and confound
the HT crowd that thinks it has more brightness.

What some may need to know, is a bright, and wide FOV, can trump higher trans. numbers.

Not sure you are eligible for any award. ;)

Jerry

Last edited:
I don't know which is which, the one on the left shows more shadow detail, the one on the right more contrast, the trees on the horizon look a little hazy in the left picture.

You are correct, and here is the reason why. The SF has such a wide
FOV that it offers much more brightness, and it shows.

That is my impression, a very nice, and very bright view.

That is why Pier offered this pic, just to show off how good the SF is, and confound
the HT crowd that thinks it has more brightness.

What some may need to know, is a bright, and wide FOV, can trump higher trans. numbers.

Not sure you are eligible for any award. ;)

Jerry

Jerry, that may be the 'apparent' impression gained in actual viewing ..... I will have to wait a few months to A/B the SF and HT at length under suitable conditions to get back on that. I have A/B'd the 8x42 HT vs every current Swarovski roof known to man, and on brightness it smoked the lot (except the 10x50 SV which was the only one on a par) - even the big A-K ×56mm SLC's couldn't keep up for me, which I found surprising ......

Note though that Pier did say that the photos are of the central portion only (presumably to cut out any visible distortion profiles which would give the game away).

I'm still mostly of the opinion with David, that the photos show too much difference compared to the transmission curves.

It will be very interesting to find out which is which! :cat:

Last edited:
Its hard to say without knowing the light conditions.

The brighter view may just be the result of a bit more sunshine due to thinner cloud for example.

Lee

Its hard to say without knowing the light conditions.

The brighter view may just be the result of a bit more sunshine due to thinner cloud for example.

Lee

Lee,

That's possible possible, but with my phone anything less than perfect centering on the EP will cause significant exposure variation. Either way, the brightness difference would be misleading.

If you followed what Henry, Tobias and Arek have written, they set the white balance of the camera first, and then take the test shots with those settings. I don't know if it's possible to do that on the S7. If not, the auto white balance will adjust the RGB levels in each shot so that the whitest objects are made to be white. Those clouds in those shots will become beautifully white, wheras of course with these two binoculas, they should be shades of green. ;)

David

Lee,

That's possible possible, but with my phone anything less than perfect centering on the EP will cause significant exposure variation. Either way, the brightness difference would be misleading.

If you followed what Henry, Tobias and Arek have written, they set the white balance of the camera first, and then take the test shots with those settings. I don't know if it's possible to do that on the S7. If not, the auto white balance will adjust the RGB levels in each shot so that the whitest objects are made to be white. Those clouds in those shots will become beautifully white, wheras of course with these two binoculas, they should be shades of green. ;)

David

It sounds as though your phone's camera has almost got spot metering and as you say this can royally screw-up exposure unless you are very careful with the aiming.

I thought all clouds (and hebridean beaches) were naturally minty green :t:

Lee

Last edited:
Duck or rabbit

I always set my pupil size to a constant value and my brain to a fixed white balance temp when testing bins.
;)

BTW, is it a duck or a rabbit in the attached photo?

Attachments

• duck-rabbit.jpg
    duck-rabbit.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 52
I always set my pupil size to a constant value and my brain to a fixed white balance temp when testing bins.
;)

BTW, is it a duck or a rabbit in the attached photo?
How bizzare! :h?: ...... If I look at this with my left eye I see a duck, but if I look at it with my right eye I see a rabbit! 3:)

Looking at it with both eyes, it flips between the two, and not only that but they start talking too! :eek!: ......
"Duck season", "Wabbit season", "Duck season!", "Wabbit season!" "DUCK season!!", "WABBIT season!!" :bounce:
herherherherherherherherheraadddda ! :-O

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back