• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The 7D has landed!!! (1 Viewer)

Here's one through my double glazed conservatory, this one was 90 degrees to the window shot at 1600 ISO

Attachments

• doveonsundial9x6.jpg
    doveonsundial9x6.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 108
Do you 7d owner feel that the 7d offer a significant leap in quality and usability from the 40d/50d? And is it true that the 7d require more post-processing to get good results?

Next time my local sparrowhawk lands in the garden I'll give it a try through the window seeing the results people are getting. Of course it won't happen again now!

Do you 7d owner feel that the 7d offer a significant leap in quality and usability from the 40d/50d? And is it true that the 7d require more post-processing to get good results?

Definitely more quality and usability, but still doing the same processing that I did before, but all users have there own way of processing and usually stick to it until they learn new one, and boy I still got to learn a lot more.

BTW I came from the 450d 50d route

High 7D-users !
I am a 7D owner since 2 days. I bought it because of its new AF-system and for improving my BIF shots. I read about the importance of putting CFn-III-1 to slow. But what about the importance of CFn-III-3 for BIF ?? 0 or 1 ? Is the position "1" mainly for zone-AF in order to prevent focusing on foreground objects ? May this setting be useful for BIF with zone-AF? Which setting with extended AF-area ?

Anybody tried these settings ?

best wishes,
Andreas

High 7D-users !
I am a 7D owner since 2 days. I bought it because of its new AF-system and for improving my BIF shots. I read about the importance of putting CFn-III-1 to slow. But what about the importance of CFn-III-3 for BIF ?? 0 or 1 ? Is the position "1" mainly for zone-AF in order to prevent focusing on foreground objects ? May this setting be useful for BIF with zone-AF? Which setting with extended AF-area ?

Anybody tried these settings ?

best wishes,
Andreas
Good question Andreas, from what I have read Cfn III-3 is best on position 1 if you are using multi points like zone AF but if you are using point expansion then position 0 is probably best. I have left mine on position 0 and it works fine but I do not use zone AF.
I too,would be interested in what other think.

Attached is a shot I took last week (both full frame and the crop). Not a particularly good or interesting shot but it does say something for the 7D's AF ability IMO. Through all the clutter it managed to nail the birds head.
I probably should have used spot AF for this type of shot but it was taken with the normal single point AF (centre point).

Attachments

• song thrush1 full.jpg
    song thrush1 full.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 100
  • song thrush1.jpg
    song thrush1.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 162
Getting a 7D after all the pictures I have seen on here, whats the difference between spot focus and centre point ?
Spot AF reduces the size of a normal focus point.The benefit of Spot AF is its ability to let you pin-point focus upon a tiny area of a scene.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back