• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

The Aussie Blue-winged Kookaburra Is A Weapon In-flight (1 Viewer)

Seashore

When you think of Aussie Kookaburra's, well the Laughing K is the one as it is a bit of an Aussie icon, but they have little known cousins in PNG and northern Australia as well. The northern Australian edition is called the Blue-winged K. On the perch it is disproportionally big-headed and slim bodied and it's call is a cacophony of annoyance and bad manners. In-flight it's a missile! I captured one in-flight a few years ago in a remote part of the Pilbara that I thought I might share on my website.

Actually, they are fairly unknown for most Australians who are mostly familiar with the Kookaburra of the loud chuckling variety. On the bush property where we lived in Eastern Victoria many years ago, our local family of Kookaburra's would arrive at the bird table after our evening meal for their share of the leftovers. They have a large territory and when I approached the table with the goodies they would swoop in from all points of the compass into the Grey Box tree in the back yard waiting for me to leave when they would collect up the bits of meat that we would cut into long strips. They would take them up into the tree and bash them against the branches of the box tree before swallowing them.

MJB

When you think of Aussie Kookaburra's, well the Laughing K is the one as it is a bit of an Aussie icon, but they have little known cousins in PNG and northern Australia as well. The northern Australian edition is called the Blue-winged K. On the perch it is disproportionally big-headed and slim bodied and it's call is a cacophony of annoyance and bad manners. In-flight it's a missile! I captured one in-flight a few years ago in a remote part of the Pilbara that I thought I might share on my website.

The Blue-winged Kookaburra is one of my favourite Australian birds. These are from Weipa, Cape York Peninsula.
MJB
PS I'm unable to identify the Anole it's caught...
00 B-tW02_edited.jpg 00 B-tW01_edited.jpg

Attachments

• 00 B-tW01_edited.jpg
    00 B-tW01_edited.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4

Seashore

Great photos to be sure, and they emphasise the large head, bill and eye. Looking at the size of the eyes in your photos makes me wonder if they hunt at night with such big eyes and what do they hunt. That's a very small prey for such a massive bill... and thanks for sharing...

ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Users who are viewing this thread