• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The best North American, US, East Coast Hummingbird ID Reference Is ??? (1 Viewer)

sbarnhardt

Jack of a few trades Master of notta!
Opus Editor
United States
I'm contemplating purchasing myself a good hummingbird identification reference. I checked Amazon, thinking there might not be but a couple to choose from, but there are many, which leaves me wondering which would be the best to have. Of course, the more photos compared to the artwork, the better, but I realize I don't always get what I want. So, I'm asking what would you buy were you me.?

Thanks!

Barney

Only one comes into question: Steve Howell's Hummingbirds of North America. You should be able to find it used.

I'm contemplating purchasing myself a good hummingbird identification reference. I checked Amazon, thinking there might not be but a couple to choose from, but there are many, which leaves me wondering which would be the best to have. Of course, the more photos compared to the artwork, the better, but I realize I don't always get what I want. So, I'm asking what would you buy were you me.?

Thanks!

Barney
Also, of nearly the same vintage as Howell is Hummingbirds of North America by Sheri Williamson ISBN: 9780618024964.

That book is almost impossible to use, a real (and absolutely uncharacteristic) design mess. I hear there is a revised edition in the works, which I'm greatly looking forward to.

That book is almost impossible to use, a real (and absolutely uncharacteristic) design mess. I hear there is a revised edition in the works, which I'm greatly looking forward to.
When you say "that book", which one are you referring to?

"Should."

Four species are accepted on the Nova Scotia list, four on the New Brunswick list, four on the Maine list, three on the New Hampshire list, six on the Massachusetts list, three on the Rhode Island list, six on the Connecticut list, five on the New York list, seven on the New Jersey list, five on the Delaware list, seven on the Pennsylvania list, seven on the Maryland list, eight on the Virginia list, eleven on the North Carolina list, ten on the South Carolina list, thirteen on the Georgia list, twelve on the Florida list . . . .

Last edited:
"Should."

Four species are accepted on the Nova Scotia list, four on the New Brunswick list, four on the Maine list, three on the New Hampshire list, six on the Massachusetts list, three on the Rhode Island list, six on the Connecticut list, five on the New York list, seven on the New Jersey list, five on the Delaware list, seven on the Pennsylvania list, seven on the Maryland list, eight on the Virginia list, eleven on the North Carolina list, ten on the South Carolina list, thirteen on the Georgia list, twelve on the Florida list . . . .
Yeah, but presumably the poster is relatively new to birding? In which case an advanced ID guide for birds that mostly don't regularly occur near him may cause more confusion than anything else. It's pretty easy to trick yourself when you are new to birding to seeing all sort of rare birds that aren't actually there.

"Should."

Yeah, and most of those will have only one or two records. At most those species might show one time per year in any of those states.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back