• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Big Year (movie) (1 Viewer)

MichelleOhio

The Big Year is opening today across America. Has anyone seen it yet? I'm going in a few hours. So far, the reviews have been fairly positive...even from birders. Can't wait!

Not all of us; Laramie is so small that a lot of times smaller releases never even make it here. It's not opening in Laramie this weekend, although the Footloose remake is :C

Otherwise it's a 2 hour round trip to Cheyenne or Fort Collins

Not all of us; Laramie is so small that a lot of times smaller releases never even make it here. It's not opening in Laramie this weekend, although the Footloose remake is :C

Otherwise it's a 2 hour round trip to Cheyenne or Fort Collins
Morgan, that sounds so evocatively Wild West! Are there hitching rails to tie-up your horse outside the theaters? ;)

These days in the wild west, don't they count horsepower by the hundreds (Ford F150 etc ...) instead of only a poor single one ;)

Niels

Saw the movie today and really liked it a lot. Martin, Black and Wilson were not as over the top as they usually are. There were some funny moments, some poignant moments and even a few good birding moments.

Sandy, now Bostick, is changed completely. Plus he is the Worlds Greatest Birder in the movie. To get near that claim you need 4000 birds! In a year.

Other than that it was enjoyable, though perhaps typical for a Steve Martin movie.

These days in the wild west, don't they count horsepower by the hundreds (Ford F150 etc ...) instead of only a poor single one ;)

Niels

These days even our local supermarket has signs not allowing you to tie your horse outside and you can forget riding in the car park. Although i did see one guy with an unfeasibly large sombrero riding his horse in the car park, but probably had just been to the liquor store and probably didn't see the signs.

Went to see the movie this afternoon, only a few people there. I thought it was worthwhile, lovely scenery and good balance between birds, people and travel. Especially liked the honeymoon couple on Attu and the motel outside the Brownsville Texas dump.

I saw the movie yesterday and enjoyed it. The whole Attu honeymoon couple bit was amusing, culminating with taking the scarf outside.

I have spoke with a few birders who saw it and enjoyed - not all have read the book. Supposedly it only grossed $3 million over the weekend, which doesn't surprise me but does all at the same time. I know the public atl arge is probably not really excited, but as someone pointed out on Texbirds: given the estimated numbers of birders out there, one would assume that birders overall would have really come out to see & support the movie. One would then have expected a bigger box office take. Hopefully more birders will get out & see it over this week.

I read the book and thoroughly enjoyed it. Although Greg Milelr (Jack Black's character) was an advisor on the set, it is more than apparent from the trailers that they took a lot of liberty with the story.

I read the book and thoroughly enjoyed it. Although Greg Miller (Jack Black's character) was an advisor on the set, it is more than apparent from the trailers that they took a lot of liberty with the story.

Now he can finally pay off his credit card debts. ;)

It was a bit of a surprise reading in the RSPB magazine that Mark Obmascik's book has been made into a movie. Especially one with some well known stars.
My initial reaction was that it wouldn't do birders any favours, however the reviews if not exactly positive appear to be at least kind:
Trailer here:
Reviews:

L A Times:
"The Big Year" might not soar (and you do wonder what fun Christopher "Best in Show" Guest might have had with the competitive birding world), but there is some harmless pleasure to be found when feathers aren't ruffled, when the fowl is not foul.
[email protected]
Holywood Reporter:
"The Big Year
This film may not do for birds what director David Frankel's last film, Marley & Me, did for dogs, but there's a similar current of warmth and appreciation for the effect of animals on people to be felt, writes Todd McCarthy".

The BOOK:
For anyone interested who has not read the book, it is a thoroughly entertaining and informative read and is available very cheaply here.

Can't say I was a big fan of Marley & Me, but the other half liked it.

Best
Mick
:t:

Last edited:
...the reviews if not exactly positive appear to be at least kind...
See some of the quotes in Greg Neise's and Ned Brinkley's posts below.

From ABA - after some initial enthusiastic feedback reflecting ABA's recent evangelical push...
...some more downbeat observations...

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back