• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The bird you were most happy to see. Anywhere in the world. (1 Viewer)

One special memory for me was sitting at our campsite table with a coffee and scanning the Zambesi River in Zambia when I spotted an African Finfoot. Totally unexpected and eventually there were at least three of them though distant, as you can see from this very, heavy crop.

On the same trip, driving the transit road through Chobe national park in Botswana, chanced on our first ever Southern Ground Hornbills too.

Another highlight after missing them on the aforementioned trip, was finally catching up with Ground Woodpecker in South Africa a couple of years later and on the same trip, Orange Ground Thrush in the murkiest of conditions.

Attachments

• African Finfoot.JPG
    African Finfoot.JPG
    100.8 KB · Views: 17
  • Southern Ground Hornbill.jpg
    Southern Ground Hornbill.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 15
  • Ground Woodpecker.jpg
    Ground Woodpecker.jpg
    374.7 KB · Views: 16
  • Orange Ground thrush.jpg
    Orange Ground thrush.jpg
    561.6 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I think for me it would be Snowy Owl at Titchwell, after a 3 hour+ drive arriving at dawn to find it was still about and then seeing it in the distance. I almost ran down the path for a closer look!" Almost!!!

My first Snowy Owl was the one in Lincolnshire. I parked up several fields away, and could see the white dot in the distance. All the info was that it had not moved all morning, so I had no qualms about scanning the salt Marsh for twite which another birder had seen. No joy, so turned to enjoy the views ... of an empty field! The owl had flown off! Fortunately I was able to head off after it, and had cracking views perched and flying, but I haven’t forgotten the initial sinking feeling. For that day at least, once I connected, that owl was the undisputed number one for this thread! Pleased and relieved don’t even come close!

My first Snowy Owl was the one in Lincolnshire. I parked up several fields away, and could see the white dot in the distance. All the info was that it had not moved all morning, so I had no qualms about scanning the salt Marsh for twite which another birder had seen. No joy, so turned to enjoy the views ... of an empty field! The owl had flown off! Fortunately I was able to head off after it, and had cracking views perched and flying, but I haven’t forgotten the initial sinking feeling. For that day at least, once I connected, that owl was the undisputed number one for this thread! Pleased and relieved don’t even come close!
One of my top UK memories was a Snowy on North Uist, not far from where I also saw my first Gyr. I refused to go and see the oiled individual on a Felixtow factory roof

Probably the Snowy Owl that showed up, without notice, at one of my favorite little spots. Such magnificent birds! And this Banded Pitta in Southern Thailand. I missed them on my first visit. This one nearly ran me over!

Attachments

• 87012022_10156656759911809_2185780058902233088_n.jpg
    87012022_10156656759911809_2185780058902233088_n.jpg
    603.8 KB · Views: 14
Blue-footed Boobies at Lake Skinner. I took half a day off work to see the improbable and found them.
Red-necked Phalaropes in a salt pond in San Diego. I was with an Audubon group for a day trip and never expected them.
The happiest/most thrilling was standing under 250,000 Snow Geese at the Salton Sea. It was like being inside of a noisy snow globe. They were nowhere near my first, but , Oh what a feeling. The 200 Sandhill Cranes that flew over 20 minutes later were icing on the cake of a wonderful birding day.

Probably the Snowy Owl that showed up, without notice, at one of my favorite little spots. Such magnificent birds! And this Banded Pitta in Southern Thailand. I missed them on my first visit. This one nearly ran me over!
Now split in two, yours is Malayan Banded Pitta, the other being Javan.

My memories of both species are now over twenty years old but it seems like yesterday at KNC in Thailand and Carita in Java.

Top UK memory, probably, is having a Sibe Thrush in the scope when the Short-toed Eagle came over off the sea and that was an incredible week!

Mine was also a Snowy Owl. I heard a rumour of one in the Cairngorms while at Aberdeen Uni. Within a month !! three of us found a way to get there and climbed to the plateau. A mere 5 hours later I realised one of the snow drifts had eyes. 40 plus years on and I have never seen another or forgotten that moment.

Nice question and lovely little bunting, thank you! mine was a nightjar that had decided to take its diurnal nap in my Durban garden along the fat branch of my jacaranda. From my study window about 4 meters away I could see down on it. this memory will be forever in my mind as the appearance of this bird coincided with the disappearance of my husband, so it will always be a bitter-sweet memory.

Noisy Scrub-bird, sauntering across the road at Cheynes Beach, Western Australia, just as I had decided to wait on the road and scan a a short, tree-lined access track to the beach. Instead of dashing across this track as the briefing had suggested, it had slowly emerged from cover to my right: I caught the movement out of the corner of my eye, but was so enthralled that I didn't even reach for my bins or my camera. Needless to say, any subsequent sightings were of birds running at top speed into thick cover... I heard them several times shortly after daybreak...
MJB

Shoebill in Zambia, saw 27 of them from a small plane over Bangweulu Swamp with Tom Gullick, the top lister at the time.
Geomalia in Sulawesi, something i just never expected to see, let alone out on the track at 1000.
Finding my lifer Gyr Falcon perched on a pole in Hokkaido
Blue Bird of Paradise and Black Sicklebill in PNG and Long-tailed Paradigalla in West Papua
Solomons Nightjar at last on Tetepare
Wryneck at Dibden Bay when i was 15, my first self found scarce bird, and Lesser-spotted Woodpecker which I found on the walk to school and Is still a favourite, it was great to see them in Japan and Mongolia too.
Ross's and Ivory Gull in the same field of view at South Shields back in my teens, after hitchhiking from Southampton to get there.
I'd better stop, but some marvellous memories, even more poignant in these times......
I've yet to see the first seven birds you mention, Phil, and I managed to dip the Wryneck you found at Dibden Bay (probably one of the few trips there that I wasn't with you). I well remember you telling me all about the LSW on Southampton Common and then going one better and later showing me the bird one day after school. Still a favourite for me too. The wait for Ross's Gull to reappear in the wake of the tanker (behind which it disappeared immediately after you spotted it) remains the longest five minutes in my life and seeing the two iconic gulls together was extraordinary!

So hard to choose, but one that stands out in particular is Great Hornbill in India. Simply majestic, watching a pair fly into a nearby tree one evening at an overlook, with the Western Ghats in the background, and the sound that they make in flight, like a small airplane even as they glided gently in for a landing. It was also that moment that inspired me to purchase a "real" camera, after taking irredeemable photos with my point and shoot.

Without a doubt my first Picathartes (White-necked Rockfowl) in the forest at Assin Fosa in Ghana in February 2007, after a long hike and laying on the ground with the ants made it all worthwhile when one finally was heard scratching about in the undergrowth before appearing for a few moments before flying up to its nest.

It has since become a much easier bird to see as a different site even has seating for the comfort of visitng birders!

Mike

My "happiest to see" moment has to be when I was taking pictures of a female Marsh Harrier flying towards me across a marsh close to where I live. I was using the camera set to take bursts of shots, taking four or five at a time and waiting for the camera to load the images to the SD card. So I was getting a view through the lens of each shot in turn frozen for a moment, then the next.
As the harrier approached over a reed bed in one set of five glimpses, I saw just her in #1, then her and another bird in #2 which I assumed was a male Marsh Harrier which had popped up out of the reedbed, then in #3 it had moved swift and low towards the path of the first bird, in #4 it appeared to have dived back into the reedbed again, and in #5 the female at the same place, braking as if about to dive on top of the male.
When I got home, I found the second bird was in fact a Peregrine that had swooped in and presumably nabbed her prey. So, I had two snaps with a Marsh Harrier and a Peregrine in both frames. I was absolutely elated, despite them suffering from poor light!!!

Attachments

• DSCN0371 MH Pere.jpg
    DSCN0371 MH Pere.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 16
  • DSCN0372 crop MH Pere AACol .jpg
    DSCN0372 crop MH Pere AACol .jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 16
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back