• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The biting buggers (1 Viewer)

seb_seb

Taken from Conserv@tion website:
"The heather-covered hills and glens of the Scottish countryside are in the grip of a hidden horror. Millions of tiny beasts armed with powerful jaws and an insatiable appetite for human blood are lurking in the undergrowth waiting to pounce on unsuspecting walkers, climbers and shooters. The menace is known simply as the tick, and scientists are warning that the unusually warm weather experienced recently in Scotland is one of the reasons for an explosion in numbers of the parasitic arachnids"
"Parts of Britain are being terrorised by black fly, a small insect with a ferocious bite said to be far worse than that of a mosquito. The insect saws into the skin causing bleeding and intense soreness, and health centres have been inundated with people suffering bites. The fly, spreading throughthe UK, is at present hitting southern England the hardest, particularly Dorset and Oxfordshire. But the pesticides needed to control it are so expensive that some councils are refusing to use them and the problem appears certain to escalate. "

Doesnt seem the best time to go out walking :cat:

Get enough of 'em around Pelsall North Common and Park Lime Pits, Seb (at least our dogs do!).

Had enough trouble with Scotland's Secret Weapon, the Midge, the last time I was back home!

Al

I've had the odd one or two on my legs and arms when in Scotland. My pets get them in Worcestershire.
An aquaintance of mine was having his weekly inspection in the bath (so he maintains) and found four on his testicles. He never told me how he got them off.
I wonder if he was brave enough to burn them or pull them out!

Don't pull them out. They leave their mouthpeice in the skin which can then become infected.
Best to soak a tissue (or similar) in turps, petrol, white spirits or anything of that ilk and apply to Tick, they will let go.

Complete removal of the testicles is the only real way to avoid getting them there - though you've got to have balls to do it.

MV

They certainly creep up on yer, have found a few on my arms and legs, but caught them before the attack, so observation is a must, I may not feel the blighters but as I have to lift my legs to get into sitting position most of the time, I spot them early on. Nina.

Here, the big ,emace are leeches, especially during the current rainy season. Whilst they are not known to carry diseases, they are still a pain in the but. Not being to keen on dousing myself in chemicals, I have yet to find a remedy (and yes, had to, vvery carefully, remove the odd one from my "private parts").

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back