• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

The Butterfly Count (2 Viewers)

Euan Buchan

The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
Supporter
Scotland
I took part in The Butterfly Count today. My records were
7 Green Viened White
1 Small White
1 Large White
2 Red Admiral
2 Meadow Brown

dwallace

We gave up as we couldn't find any way of listing the following species after downloading the app:

Essex, Large and Small Skipper
Small Heath
Chalkhill and Silver-Studded Blue
Grayling
Silver-washed Fritillary
White Admiral.

All of the above species can be found in the local area.

Dave W

dwallace

To add to the above post, my wife did submit a garden count given the limited number of species on the app.

Dave W

Kits

Picture Picker
I counted on Saturday afternoon.

7 Peacock
5 Large White
3 Small White
1 Small Blue
1 Ringlet
1 Brimstone

The buddleia was swarming with the peacocks.

Kits

Picture Picker
Ha! I was reading the notes OH and I made instead of what I submitted to the Count!

It should be Common Blue! OH had written Small Blue. :king:

Adey Baker

Ha! I was reading the notes OH and I made instead of what I submitted to the Count!

It should be Common Blue! OH had written Small Blue. :king:

Ah, thought Small Blue was a bit optimistic!! Slap-on-the-wrist-time for OH, I'd say;)

Euan Buchan

The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
Supporter
Scotland
I took part in The Big Butterfly Count today and saw

3 Small White
2 Peacock
1 Green Viened White
1 Meadow Brown

aeshna5

I think it's very frustrating that a number of fairly widespread species can't be recorded this year.

dwallace

Referring to my earlier post and aeshna 5's comments, I contacted Butterfly Conservation about the missing species and was advised to submit them via iRecord, which seems to make the count somewhat invalid. I suggest BC either includes all the species on the App or just restricts the count to a garden Butterfly Count like the birding equivalent.

Dave W

InternetMan

I’d have thought the purpose of the count is to get ‘regular’ people interested, and possibly to monitor Fortunes of common species. Too many hard-to-find (or ID) species could be offputting.

dantheman

Bah humbug
I imagine that if they included rarer species, people would start erroneously recording them, which would invalidate records and cause more work.

Maybe they should have set up a 'secret' section on the app to unlock rare species for accredited observers, or something ;)

Users who are viewing this thread