• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Complete Birds of the World: Every Species Illustrated (Princeton) (1 Viewer)

Lerxst

Just got an email from Cornell Lab touting this book. Anyone know anything about it??

Authors/artists: Norman Arlott, Ber van Perlo, Jorge R. Rodriguez Mata, Gustavo Carrizo, Aldo A. Chiappe, and Luis Huber

"The ultimate reference book for birdwatchers and bird lovers—the first single-volume book to illustrate all of the world’s bird species"

Seems odd given their relationship with Lynx, who already have published the first single-volume book illustrating all species. Did I miss something?

Hardcover
Price:$65.00
ISBN:9780691193922
Published: Sep 7, 2021
Pages: 640
Size: 8.5 x 11 in.
Illus: 25,000 color illus.

Just got an email from Cornell Lab touting this book. Anyone know anything about it??

Authors/artists: Norman Arlott, Ber van Perlo, Jorge R. Rodriguez Mata, Gustavo Carrizo, Aldo A. Chiappe, and Luis Huber

"The ultimate reference book for birdwatchers and bird lovers—the first single-volume book to illustrate all of the world’s bird species"

Seems odd given their relationship with Lynx, who already have published the first single-volume book illustrating all species. Did I miss something?

Hardcover
Price:$65.00
ISBN:9780691193922
Published: Sep 7, 2021
Pages: 640
Size: 8.5 x 11 in.
Illus: 25,000 color illus.
Collins Birds of the World - BirdGuides review here

Kind of hard to imagine the need for this with the Lynx book. Especially since the Lynx book uses a more liberal list incorporating every species recognized by 4 major checklists (vs following a single one) and is also careful to include many subspecies/subspecies groups. So the Collins book is already out of date, while the Lynx book will maintain its relevance for a bit longer.

It looks like a lovely book. I can't imagine anyone will be buying it for its scientific accuracy or to use in the field.

I note with amusement that both the Collins and Princeton versions are available to pre-order on Amazon UK, but the US printing is actually cheaper (£46.90 vs £53.45). I will happily tolerate American spellings to save £6.50.

Kind of hard to imagine the need for this with the Lynx book. Especially since the Lynx book uses a more liberal list incorporating every species recognized by 4 major checklists (vs following a single one) and is also careful to include many subspecies/subspecies groups. So the Collins book is already out of date, while the Lynx book will maintain its relevance for a bit longer.
Plus this book is based on a two year old version of the IOC list !! That knocks out over 200 species for a start.

I really do recommend that anyone considering buying it think again and go for the Lynx 'All the Birds of the World'. It might be a few dollars/pounds more but it is worth it.

Some of Ber van Perlo's artwork in the past left a lot to be desired. His Mexico/Northern Central America book in particular made me wince at times. His Brazil book is oaky. I hope this is far better.

Odd to hear about an IOC-based book this via Cornell, since eBird seems married to Clements, and you'd think the Lynx book would be their go-to volume, given how they took over HBW. Strange.

Some of Ber van Perlo's artwork in the past left a lot to be desired. His Mexico/Northern Central America book in particular made me wince at times. His Brazil book is oaky. I hope this is far better.

Odd to hear about an IOC-based book this via Cornell, since eBird seems married to Clements, and you'd think the Lynx book would be their go-to volume, given how they took over HBW. Strange.
The decision to not follow Clements is a bit odd, but it makes sense not to follow Lynx. That guide has less a single taxonomy than it simply includes EVERYTHING recognized in Clements, IOC, Birdlife International, and I think Howard and Moore. I don't think it's really trying to be a taxonomic authority in and of itself.

If we are talking about all the birds of the world. Not sure if the checklist is different

Might be as simple as advertising money being paid for the inclusion of the information?

Niels

I received my copy of this book today. The vast majority of the artwork is sourced from previous Collins field guides. The contrast between the Norman Arlott artwork and the Ber van Perlo artwork on the same plate is quite stark and in some cases unsettling. Take, for example, the Oropendolas, Orioles and Blackbirds. Putting it politely, Band-tailed Oropendola and Casqued Oropendola are simply a washy sketch compared to the far more detailed North American Orioles. As Oropendolas are towards the end of the original field guide, maybe van Perlo had simply given up at that point!

Attachments

• BoW1.jpg
    BoW1.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 134
I received my copy of this book today. The vast majority of the artwork is sourced from previous Collins field guides. The contrast between the Norman Arlott artwork and the Ber van Perlo artwork on the same plate is quite stark and in some cases unsettling. Take, for example, the Oropendolas, Orioles and Blackbirds. Putting it politely, Band-tailed Oropendola and Casqued Oropendola are simply a washy sketch compared to the far more detailed North American Orioles. As Oropendolas are towards the end of the original field guide, maybe van Perlo had simply given up at that point!
Thanks for the image. Yep, I recognize several of those icterids from Perlo's Mexico/Central Am book. I am really surprised that they are using such images for this book.

wow....yeah kind of a bone-headed move to include really good art on the same page as art of lower quality, as it will make the lower quality art look so much worse...

Have to agree that Ber van Perlo's art is dreadful. This looks like the latest in a string of unfortunate art choices for new books (ala the new Venezuela and Ecuador guides)...

My copy arrived earlier this week and have only today had a chance to look through it - agree about some of the artwork but more worried that one plate (161; pages 333/334) has the lower corner ripped off! I hope Collins Customer Services are decent to deal with...

My copy arrived earlier this week and have only today had a chance to look through it - agree about some of the artwork but more worried that one plate (161; pages 333/334) has the lower corner ripped off! I hope Collins Customer Services are decent to deal with...
New, apparently undamaged, copy arrived today but with no instructions about returning the damaged one!

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back