• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Defintive Answer. (1 Viewer)

giosblue

Does the Baader MK1V reach proper focus on the the Pentax PF80/65 spotting scope?

Yes and no.
The MK1V comes with two adapters s for the 1.25 nose piece.
One is flat and one has a shoulder on the inside as you can see in the pics.
My understanding is you swap the one with the shoulder for the flat one and this is what gives you more back focus. This might work on some scopes, but this new adapter makes no difference to the Pentax scopes.
This season for this is because the nose piece screws into the adapter and then the locking ring screws down and clamps the adapter/nose piece to the body. The problem with this on the Pentax scopes is when the locking ring is screwed down, there is some thread left that the 2in adapter screws into This completely negates any advantage of the flat adapter ring gives.
So you will not get the Pentax's to focus.
However, if you secure the adapter ring/nose piece to the body without using the locking ring, it focuses no problem. Until I can find a better way I have taped it to the body with insulation tape and it works a treat. If you do this as tight as you can it is very secure..
The MK 1V is an improvement over the MK111, twist up eye cup is far better, the focusing's smoother and it's a tad smaller and lighter.

All Baader need to do is to make a locking collar without the threaded part for the 2in tube and it would work in the Pentax scopes.

Attachments

• IMG_0674[1].JPG
    IMG_0674[1].JPG
    333.3 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_0672[1].JPG
    IMG_0672[1].JPG
    424.6 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_0671[1].JPG
    IMG_0671[1].JPG
    518 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
Howdy,
So how is the image?

Do you think one could machine or grind off the threaded lip of the locking ring?

Does the Baader MK1V reach proper focus on the the Pentax PF80/65 spotting scope?

Yes and no.
The MK1V comes with two adapters s for the 1.25 nose piece.
One is flat and one has a shoulder on the inside as you can see in the pics.
My understanding is you swap the one with the shoulder for the flat one and this is what gives you more back focus. This might work on some scopes, but this new adapter makes no difference to the Pentax scopes.
This season for this is because the nose piece screws into the adapter and then the locking ring screws down and clamps the adapter/nose piece to the body. The problem with this on the Pentax scopes is when the locking ring is screwed down, there is some thread left that the 2in adapter screws into This completely negates any advantage of the flat adapter ring gives.
So you will not get the Pentax's to focus.
However, if you secure the adapter ring/nose piece to the body without using the locking ring, it focuses no problem. Until I can find a better way I have taped it to the body with insulation tape and it works a treat. If you do this as tight as you can it is very secure..
The MK 1V is an improvement over the MK111, twist up eye cup is far better, the focusing's smoother and it's a tad smaller and lighter.

All Baader need to do is to make a locking collar without the threaded part for the 2in tube and it would work in the Pentax scopes.

The image is excellent, and yes, machining the locking collar would work if you took enough off. You could grind it off but machining would be better.
Or you could just tape on like I did, it works really well.

The image is excellent, and yes, machining the locking collar would work if you took enough off. You could grind it off but machining would be better.
Or you could just tape on like I did, it works really well.

Cool. Another question. Are you using the factory plastic bushing in the scope? I currently have the WO Optics Zoom II and in order for it to focus I replaced the factory PENTAX plastic bushing which allowed the EP to drop into the scope further. Would this be a solution without having to modify or not use the locking ring on the Baader? Here are some old pics of my mod. Wow, hard to believe this was 10 year ago!

Attachments

• ep-01.jpg
    ep-01.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 81
  • ep-03.jpg
    ep-03.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 83
  • ep-02.jpg
    ep-02.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 78
  • ep-04.jpg
    ep-04.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 76
  • ep-05.jpg
    ep-05.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 79
Cool. Another question. Are you using the factory plastic bushing in the scope? I currently have the WO Optics Zoom II and in order for it to focus I replaced the factory PENTAX plastic bushing which allowed the EP to drop into the scope further. Would this be a solution without having to modify or not use the locking ring on the Baader? Here are some old pics of my mod. Wow, hard to believe this was 10 year ago!

To be honest, modifying the scope never crossed my mind.
All I can say is, taping the nose piece on to the zoom works a treat and both the PF 65 and the PF80 focus to infinity with room to spare.

Ron

All I can say is, taping the nose piece on to the zoom works a treat and both the PF 65 and the PF80 focus to infinity with room to spare.

Ron

Thanks Ron. I think I'll have to try one.

Perry

Rons
Does the tape seem to hold it securely enough? I'm having the same focusing problem with my Svbony SV406P and considering whether it'll work.

Does the tape seem to hold it securely enough? I'm having the same focusing problem with my Svbony SV406P and considering whether it'll work.
I also have the Svbony SV406P and just ordered the Baader MK1V. Did you swap the spacer that comes with the eyepiece? Should I just return the Baader MK1V without opening?

I also have the Svbony SV406P and just ordered the Baader MK1V. Did you swap the spacer that comes with the eyepiece? Should I just return the Baader MK1V without opening?

I'm just going to jump in here and wish you a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like ;)

I ended up removing the screw-on collar which holds the adapter on, and secured the adapter with super glue. I then wrapped electrical tape tightly around the eyepiece and adapter on top of the exposed threads. It has been working quite well for me and I no longer have any problems focusing at long distances.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back