• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

The Demise of Birding Software (1 Viewer)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
I know I am late the party, but there is also always Excel. I've always just use that program to write up my lifelists and equivalent lists. Yes, it won't update automatically with each checklist update so requires more hands-on maintenance to manage, but it also give you total freedom on formatting, organization, and taxonomic decisions, and the tabs option allows multiple different list types to be stored in the same file. Then again I find tweaking and editing of my life list files strangely comforting, so maybe I am a poor person to get an opinion from!
What I would be missing with this option (at least as I once implemented it) is the ability to return to each individual outing. If one is only interested in summary tables, then no problem using excel.
Niels

awiner

What I would be missing with this option (at least as I once implemented it) is the ability to return to each individual outing. If one is only interested in summary tables, then no problem using excel.
Niels

If you have good record keeping elsewhere (full paper checklists for reference), then it's fine, but a basic "check off my lifers" approach breaks down with some a lot of the splits these days. E.g. seeing Rufous Antpitta in Peru or Oriental White-eye "a few times in Asia", leaves you pretty much SOL...

I've got a few ancient records of my own that are unrecoverable, so "record every sighting everywhere you go, all the time" is my recommended approach.

JakeM

Yeah, that's why I built Scythebill - I wanted software that worked on the desktop, no dependency on an external provider.

Hoping that Scythebill isn't what you're describing as "ugly" or "painful to navigate" - it's not flashy software, but I literally designed it so a self-proclaimed computer illiterate (not going to name them here!) could use it.
Let me add a huge thank you to for Scythebill ! I have been using it for a number of years. Highly recommended.

Owene

I use birdjournal and am very happy with it but find having some checklists installed causes it to crash. Reptiles of the world especially makes it unworkable.

Richard G

Yeah, that's why I built Scythebill - I wanted software that worked on the desktop, no dependency on an external provider.

Hoping that Scythebill isn't what you're describing as "ugly" or "painful to navigate" - it's not flashy software, but I literally designed it so a self-proclaimed computer illiterate (not going to name them here!) could use it.
Another thanks from me for Sythebill - only discovered it earlier in 2021 when I had a catastrophic computer failure & lost my records on SWIFT and needed something easier to use. For my listing it is perfect.

PeterBird

Netherlands
I mostly use Bird Journal, entering my sightings in the field,( and I love it ) but every few weeks I export them to Scythebill, both as a backup and for the extensive report options. Beautiful software!

Sandy73

I mostly use Bird Journal, entering my sightings in the field,( and I love it ) but every few weeks I export them to Scythebill, both as a backup and for the extensive report options. Beautiful software!
Evening.

How easy do you find transferring data from BirdJournal to Scythebill?

Thank you in advance.

Regards

Cettia

Hi:
I have just start using phone apps (only ebird so far) for some of my observation. I see there are quite a few options, but I am a completely newbie, and I wonder if any app would allow to record the Lon-lat of any record added to a list (eBird would place all the records of a list on the same place).

Thanks in advance and have a great 2022!!

ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Colombia
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Colombia

Users who are viewing this thread