• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The future of the Nikon Monarch HG line (2 Viewers)

Mark5man

As the recently announced Monarch M7 line appears to be a rebranded version of the Monarch HG (striking similarities both in terms of specs and design), what can we expect then for the HG line?
Will they discontinue it?
Or should we expect new HG models in the near future?

I’ll be surprised and disappointed if they discontinue the HG; I doubt they will.
I think they’re just going for a uniform design/style across their binocular line.

I do hope they update the HG with a new focus wheel. The rubber came unglued on mine and I’d like to see a metal or all plastic wheel; no rubber covering. Perhaps updated armor as well but I’m nitpicking now; what they have already is fine. I do like the aesthetics of the new M7 quite a bit and would like to see the HG updated to look similar to this new design. I’d buy a second HG in 8x30 if it’s ever updated.

As the recently announced Monarch M7 line appears to be a rebranded version of the Monarch HG (striking similarities both in terms of specs and design), what can we expect then for the HG line?
Will they discontinue it?
Or should we expect new HG models in the near future?

Fer schizzle .... ? 🤨🤔

The new M7's make no mention of a field flattening lens, so I doubt the field will be as flat as the HG (themselves not overly flat, and often criticised for that).

If a new HG was on the way, I'd like to see sharper edges, sharper and better resolution overall, more neutral colour cast (HT glass) , brighter, less CA and better glare control.

The body is pretty nice as is, and the low weight is certainly a win. A larger knurled metal focusing wheel would be icing on the cake.

I'd like to see them make these changes to the HG, and then go all out on a new lightweight, extra-wide-Fov, sharp to the edges, alpha class leading new EDG with the HG's ergonomics 👍

Chosun 🙅‍♀️

If a new HG was on the way, I'd like to see sharper edges, sharper and better resolution overall, more neutral colour cast (HT glass) , brighter, less CA and better glare control.

The body is pretty nice as is, and the low weight is certainly a win. A larger knurled metal focusing wheel would be icing on the cake.
That's quite an upgrade and I think if accomplished it would be super close to the premium level and perhaps they may even need to bump up the price with those upgrades. IMO it's worth the money at the price level it's at now with the current optics.

Personally, I don't need sharper edges. I wonder if that would make the image look a bit more compressed. As it is now, it looks pretty natural. I rarely notice the edges in my HG since the area of sharpness is big in a wide FOV . I do realize now why people like flat field binoculars; I've been using my HG for a year and recently looked through a Leupold BX-4 8x32 and noticed immediately the small area of sharpness (sweet spot) in a narrow FOV; I returned it for this reason. I tried it to see if it could be a good backup/secondary binocular. However, I guess I've become spoiled from the HG's big FOV and large sweet spot. The Leupold is a nice binocular though and the case might be the best bino case ever.

I think a little more neutral color quality could be nice although I do like the image as it is now; it's pleasant and also rather relaxing with no eyestrain.

I think gross contrast is at a high level, but micro-contrast is not at the top level. It's fine and I'm not complaining, but the premium binoculars costing 2-3 times more do have better micro-contrast. I recall the Zeiss FL 8x32 and Swaro SV having more impressive resolution of the softer/finer details. I read a while back some comments in different forums about Nikon binoculars being known for high gross/general contrast, but not high micro-contrast. This rings true for me based on my experiences with the 8x30 HG. I think the commenters may have been referring to the roofs. I recall the Nikon premier SE porro showing incredible detail.
With that said, I'm satisfied with the overall resolution when looking through my HG. Just like in eyeglasses, if sharpness is too high it can can make viewing somewhat uncomfortable. For me, the HG renders a pleasant and satisfying image with a nice balance of great gross contrast, good micro-contrast and nice colors.

Aluminum metal focus wheel would be great (y)

Hi Beth (post#4)

Well, I will just talk about the 42mm since that's the size I compared extensively with my Zen. I'm going to gently disagree. I kinda feel that all the bins on the market are priced one category above the level that they actually punch at. That's just me, and I'm a bit of a strange cat !

There's pretty much no difference between the view of the MHG and Zen-Ray. ie I'd rate the ~$1000 view of the MHG as a ~$500 view. When you consider that the $~450 Zen view was also available in it's Bushnell Legend M clone for half of that again, then it gives quite a long pause for thought.

Likewise I'd rate the ~$2500 view of the Zeiss SF as more of a ~$1000 view. The SF view is noticeably sharper than that of the MHG, but I couldn't live with that green ham colour rendition (let alone the contrived ergonomics). To me a $2500 bin should have no compromises ..... by my reckoning there shouldn't even be $3K bins unless they come with 24K gold, E grade or better diamonds, and leather ethically lab grown from the painlessly extracted stem cells of baby unicorns ! 😄

That's the sort of sharpness/resolution I'd like to see the MHG upgraded to - SF level. Along with all the other improvements I mentioned. That could be achieved by whacking in a bit of HT and FL glass, and some aspherics. I don't think that pushes the MHG into a higher price division - just merely provides the requisite value of the mid priced bin level.

With the advent of the Swaro NL Pure, I think there's enough room for an updated flagship new EDG above the MHG too. No need to go to the expense of the contrived ergonomics of the SF /NL - just stick with the excellent ergonomics of the MHG and fit it out with killer optics. ..... oh, and charge no more than $2000 for it. The binocular industry really needs to improve its manufacturing productivity - it's a bit of a laggard .....

I'm not sure that I've ever thought the view through eyeglasses or bins could be 'too sharp'. I distinctly remember when I was a younger lass and a bit of a gun golfer, getting my first glasses (after not being able to see the blackboard clearly at Uni .... from the front row of seats ! - so I was pretty full on Mr Magoo) 😄 All of a sudden trees 250m away had canopies made entirely of individual leaves, instead of just a green blurry blob. It was a bit of a revelation !

I'm glad you like the little 8x30 MHG - I know you've searched long and hard to arrive there. It's interesting what you say about its sweet spot. If I just go clinically by the Fov and blur % figures at Allbinos comparing the little MHG with the new Swaro Companion B 8x30 then - the Swaro comes out with a clearly (lol, see what I did there ! 😆) larger sweet spot. Some 1/6 bigger at ~117m to ~100m despite the MHG's larger outright Fov. Having said that I think in relative terms, the little x30 MHG faces less competition than the x42mm, unless you add all the Alpha x32s in as well, but that's a stretch these days with the latest offerings nearly weighing as much as a 42mm MHG !

I think it's pretty much possible to make a view sharp to the edge without looking pancake flat - the Swaro 10x50 SV does a great job of this. The Canon 15x50 IS though .... um, not so much ! It's flat as a tack. Unnervingly and unnaturally flat - though you do get used to it after not too much time. I'm definitely a clear edge type of gal. It's not r-e-a-l-l-y an essential as I mostly look down the hi-diddle-diddle, but when it's there, it's very nice and very easy to get used to 🙂

Chosun 🙅‍♀️

Last edited:
I'm not sure that I've ever thought the view through eyeglasses or bins could be 'too sharp'. I distinctly remember when I was a younger lass and a bit of a gun golfer, getting my first glasses (after not being able to see the blackboard clearly at Uni .... from the front row of seats ! - so I was pretty full on Mr Magoo) 😄 All of a sudden trees 250m away had canopies made entirely of individual leaves, instead of just a green blurry blob. It was a bit of a revelation !

I'm glad you like the little 8x30 MHG - I know you've searched long and hard to arrive there. It's interesting what you say about its sweet spot. If I just go clinically by the Fov and blur % figures at Allbinos comparing the little MHG with the new Swaro Companion 8x30 then - the Swaro comes out with a clearly (lol, see what I did there ! 😆) larger sweet spot. Some 1/6 bigger at ~117m to ~100m despite the MHG's larger outright Fov. Having said that I think in relative terms, the little x30 MHG faces less competition than the x42mm, unless you add all the Alpha x32s in as well, but that's a stretch these days with the latest offerings nearly weighing as much as a 42mm MHG !

Just from reading your postings over the years it seems you have a bit higher expectations of the optics and material designs than I do and that's not a criticism in any way; It's all just personal preferences and slightly different tolerance levels. For the listed prices of these new 'super alphas' they really should be excellent all around.

My very first pair of eyeglasses was uncomfortable. The view was razor sharp. I asked the Dr. to adjust due to eyestrain and resulting headaches. The adjusted pair was much more comfortable. I noticed it wasn't quite as sharp anymore and I preferred that. It was a somewhat gentler view; not as harsh if that makes sense. I don't remember exactly what he did to adjust it, but it was easier on the eyes. I think he told me he adjusted the astigmatism in the lenses if I remember correctly.

While the MHG does have great gross contrast its image is overall relatively gentle and easy and thankfully not harsh IMO.
Some people will disagree with me about this I'm sure. It's difficult to explain, but I find the Ultravids similar. The color balance also helps here. When I had the FL and Ultravid at the same time, I felt the FL had better micro-contrast and apparent brightness. However, I preferred the view through the Leica overall even though the FL had super impressive optics.

The 1st gen. Swaro CL has a obviously softer view than the EL SV which is truly razor sharp and super bright (a bit too bright for me).
I never owned the EL SV even though I considered it many times and I think it may be due to the image being a bit too bright and overdone for me compared to the original CL which seemed about right for me. I totally regret selling it.

It's like regular HD TV compared to the new 4k TVs. I've seen the 4k and feel the resolution is just too much; it's overdone. I prefer my "old fashioned" HD tv which is considered small in screen size these days. It has enough resolution to enjoy comfortable viewing.

Yes, I believe my original CL had a slightly bigger sweet spot compared to the MHG when I had them both.

Last edited:
Who knows what Nikon will do, however there are enough real owners of the MHG in 8X42 to prove it is an excellent glass. They have sold many, that is all that matters.

Personally I am inclined to believe that Nikon will keep the HG as their premium line.
If that will be the case, then we should probably expect a new generation to be released soon.
As it is right now, it makes no sense to have the new M7 compete with the current HG models.

Personally I am inclined to believe that Nikon will keep the HG as their premium line.
If that will be the case, then we should probably expect a new generation to be released soon.
As it is right now, it makes no sense to have the new M7 compete with the current HG models.
I hope you’re right and they’re working on a new version HG. I’ll be first in line for it as long as eye relief is good. Then I would make my current HG my backup and I’ll be set for life ... ha !

They could have upgraded the Monarch 5, 7 because of the armor issue, they sold a ton of them, but likely many went back because of the armor issues. With all the regulations today for suitable armor on a binocular ( who chews on it anyway?), it likely took some time to develop a formula. I am hesitant that the HG will be up graded anytime soon, however with Nikon it is surely an unknown.

I would certainly welcome an updated HG or a new Nikon alpha - who here wouldn't? But I also don't expect either shortly.

I still get on great with my 8x30 MHG. I agree that it is not an alpha quality view but it's not too far off. I don't ever notice the edge softness given the large sweet spot, I'm not bothered by glare or by ergonomics in any way. It's limits do come in terms of seeing detail in harsh light, when things are backlit, and into the shadows - whether that is absolute resolution or micro-contrast I can't say, but my 8x32 SF certainly outperforms it there by a bit. A little bit less CA would of course be welcome but given that it has essentially none on-axis it doesn't really bother me. For now I'm satisfied and use it a lot, though not on "hardcore" birding trips/days.

I still get on great with my 8x30 MHG. I agree that it is not an alpha quality view but it's not too far off. I don't ever notice the edge softness given the large sweet spot, I'm not bothered by glare or by ergonomics in any way.
The ergonomics are great and about the best I've experienced. Surprisingly, I find it even better than the original Swaro CL.
I think the CL was better when holding with one hand, but the way I hold the MHG with two hands it's almost perfect.
I very rarely hold any binocular with 1 hand when viewing.

The new M7 certainly appears to be a twin of the current MHG - specs, housing, etc. … hmmm, quite curious. Like others have expressed - I certainly hope this is the prelude to the announcement of an updated/improved MHG and not supplanting via the M7.

If you're expecting great things out of Nikon Sport Optics, you're wasting your time. They are going backwards, not forwards, and IMO that trend will continue.

JG I think they are out of the premium glass market, so they have elected to make mid/budget-priced glass, which IMO are very good, as compared to a lot of the garbage mid/budget priced glass out there.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back