• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Highlands and Islands Thread (1 Viewer)

Enjoy - I'm jealous - not back until end of October. We've been going for 20+ years so have seen these over quite a period of time - and we sometimes see more when we're not quite looking! West coast of Mull is also a favourite spot - particularly for sea eagles. Have a great time.

We will - thanks.

Always so look forward to our Scotland time - as much as we do Lesvos. All those damp autumny smells;wellies & cags;waterfalls after rain; picnic out of the back of the car; the lovely drive through the mountains from Corran ferry to Lochaline; lighting a log fire each evening; and that's as well as the birds & mammals. Onto Boat of Garten after Mull.

Sandra

Hi Sandra. I'll keep an eye out for you in Boat of Garten as we're up there (in Nethybridge) next week. I'll be pushing a pushchair chasing a 4 year old so will be easy to spot.
Good luck with Mull. An absolute corker of a place with great birds thrown in for good measure.

Rich

I don't think so, I see them quite often when I'm out in the Cairngorms and have seen them over on The Ben and on Bidean nam Bian a few times. They're cheeky wee so and so's. A gang of them usually roams about Coire an t-Sneachda in the 'gorms mugging climbers for their sandwiches. They're bold enough to sit on your boot and wait for any crumbs to fall! Brilliant birds :)

Last edited:
Hi Sandra. I'll keep an eye out for you in Boat of Garten as we're up there (in Nethybridge) next week. I'll be pushing a pushchair chasing a 4 year old so will be easy to spot.
Good luck with Mull. An absolute corker of a place with great birds thrown in for good measure.

Rich

We cross over to Boat of Garten on 1st October, Rich, so will miss you I think? Pity.

Sandra

Hi Sandra. Good luck with your trip. Are you going to post a vacation trip report afterwards? I was given some great tips and ideas from Ben Nevis but I also enjoyed reading your previous posts on the area whilst again, getting some great ideas.

Have a good oneB :)

Rich
We cross over to Boat of Garten on 1st October, Rich, so will miss you I think? Pity.

Sandra

Hi Sandra. Good luck with your trip. Are you going to post a vacation trip report afterwards? I was given some great tips and ideas from Ben Nevis but I also enjoyed reading your previous posts on the area whilst again, getting some great ideas.

Have a good oneB :)

Rich

Yes I'll post a trip report Rich, though I can't see it being a lot different from previous trips. We've covered nearly the whole areas both on Mull & Boat but I suppose there's usually one surprise or another. Last year we had a few beautiful fallow deer from the kitchen window on Mull.

So watch this space...................

Sandra

Yes I'll post a trip report Rich, though I can't see it being a lot different from previous trips. We've covered nearly the whole areas both on Mull & Boat but I suppose there's usually one surprise or another. Last year we had a few beautiful fallow deer from the kitchen window on Mull.

So watch this space...................

Sandra

Hi Sandra you must stay near loch na- keal, I did over forty years on the island studying the raptors, mainly golden eagles, I have done some sheets if you would be interested. I was the first one to find the first pair of W.T. Eagles breeding on the island. best regards mc

Hi Sandra you must stay near loch na- keal, I did over forty years on the island studying the raptors, mainly golden eagles, I have done some sheets if you would be interested. I was the first one to find the first pair of W.T. Eagles breeding on the island. best regards mc

Yes, we stay between Loch na Kael & Loch Ba on the Gruline estate so we have heard about the WTE at first hand.

We would be very interested in seeing the sheets you mention if that is possible. Do you need my email address?

Thanks in advance

Sandra

A juvenile White Tailed Eagle has been seen over Findhorn and the A9. Worryingly it's now in the Moy area (high levels of raptor persecution), but it is worth keeping an eye out for if coming this way.

5 Ptarmigan, including 1 almost complete white one, showing from their namesake restaurant and viewpoint near the top of Cairngorm on Sunday. To the right as you look out.

My first Crested Tit

I decided to have a go for the illusive Crested Tit so went out on Monday and got some photos first time luck or what? :t:
Ray

Attachments

• E1D41638.jpg
    E1D41638.jpg
    268.4 KB · Views: 150

Users who are viewing this thread

Back