• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Highlands and Islands Thread (1 Viewer)

I'm with John on this one I'm afraid Ratal.

Your last two comments were unnecessary, downright rude and unhelpful in the extreme - the antithesis of what Bird Forum is about.

Why not offer some constructive help - we can't all be as good as you are and I am sure that there are lots of readers here that would love to benefit from your experience.

As John said, why not post your sightings on the Highland bird forum http://highlandandmoraywildlife.freeforums.org/ or on the corresponding facebook page? I look forward to seeing you there.

Here's hoping that you have the good grace to send a fulsome apology to John.

Cheers,

Gordon - author of the Best Birdwatching Sites in the Scottish Highlands

Seasons seem a bit confused at the moment with all this warm weather, a Chiffchaff singing away yesterday at Avielochan with Redwing calling overhead at the same time! Still plenty of Swallows about too on the Moray Coast.

Nothing interesting to add on the bird-front (apart from thousands of pink footed geese - love this time of year!!), but I just wanted to stick my nose in here and say hi. I know one or two of you from the Highland & Moray facebook group (I'm Soleirolia Soleirolii there |;|). Nigg bay's my local patch. I found this place last night when I was researching what eyepiece to buy for my scope!

See you around :)

is this the bird that escaped in inverness area around may this year or a different one

As far as I know the bird that escaped is still safely in it's pen at the Black Isle Wildlife Park. No evidence this is an escapee. All a bit confusing as the bird in May doesn't seem to be the one from the park either according to some reports. The one at the park did escape at some point but was quickly recaptured by a local farmer so I heard. I'd be pretty sure there is a least one "wild" Snowy wandering around the Highlands, such a vast area and a bird which likes to crouch down behind a rock on top of a mountain for most of the day!!!

I've often wandered where the Cairngorm bird vanishes too, one turned up in Caithness after it disappeared so perhaps it's a bird that is regularly making north-south trip and stopping off to hunt around the coast in the Tain area??

Last edited:
Black and Red Throated Divers in the waters off Milton of Culloden, along with Pintail, Shelduck, Long Tailed Duck, Scaup, Goldeneye, Widgeon and twenty plus Slavonians looking smart in their winter plumage.

Slovenian grebe present still in high numbers off Milton of Culloden, as well as a smattering of red throated divers. Further in, past the Inverness bridge, hundreds of little auk and guillemot just flying around in massive circles going nowhere fast.

Bird of the day though was Merlin dashing up and down the water front. Peregrine still present on the Church by River Ness.

Jpoyner. Hi what's the latest on snowy owl up that way unfortunately rba pager reception I get is garbage. . Visit. Area regular and a bird would happily call in to see. Especially unringed and wanderer

Cheers jim

Jpoyner. Hi what's the latest on snowy owl up that way unfortunately rba pager reception I get is garbage. . Visit. Area regular and a bird would happily call in to see. Especially unringed and wanderer

Cheers jim

Seems the debate still rages on as to which sightings are of a bird that escaped from a wildlife park and which are of the wild ones!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back