• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Highlands and Islands Thread (1 Viewer)

I've managed to get out a fair bit over the last few days, Merkinch NR on Monday where there were plenty of Redshank, Wigeon and Curlew to be seen. Also managed to spot a Shelduck which was a nice wee bonus.

I've been working away the last couple of days in Tyndrum, Inveraray and Oban and managed to sneak in a wee bit of birding this morning. I spotted this odd looking fellow in Oban harbour and couldn't figure out what it was. The Collins guide didn't have anything that fitted the ... bill... sorry.. and I wasn't able to get online till I got home. It looks like it might be a Muscovy Duck so I'm guessing its an escapee from one of the estates or local sanctuaries.

A couple of black Guillemots were slightly further out and a group of Eiders put on a great show diving for crabs. The water was clear and shallow enough that you could see them dive down and pick out their prey. A great way to start a days work!

Last edited:
A quick look from the pier at Embo this afternoon produced loads of Razorbill and Guillemot a few kittiwakes and Gannets with at least 20 Red throated divers 1 Black throated diver 16 Slavonian grebes with good numbers of Long tailed duck and common scoters with a few Eider, Goldeneye and Red breasted mergansers. On the rocks were Turnstone, purple sandpipers,knot,curlew,Redshank and oystercatcher and a peregrine flew out over the sea towards Tarbat Ness. Loads of Pinkfeet heading over to Loch Fleet.

Dean,

Anymore sightings of your Gyr. Coming up to the Granton area at the end of the month hope your snow forecast isnt too heavy but the mixed blessing could be lower Ptarmigan maybe?

Anymore sightings of your Gyr. Coming up to the Granton area at the end of the month hope your snow forecast isnt too heavy but the mixed blessing could be lower Ptarmigan maybe?

A couple, but nothing conclusive.

The Ptarms are currently where I would expect to see them in May, so any some in most welcome!

The forecast for the coming week is a bit of a blast with snow. Fingers crossed!

WOW, what an Arctic blast. Two days of heavy snow and the signs of spring vanished!

We had Mountain Hare (several) on the road at Findhorn and a herd of over 150 stags beyond Laggan. Cresties back at all the feeding stations if you could get through the foot of snow on the track.

Severe carnage on the A9 coming home (not for me, but many crushed cars, smashes and slides) made me realise snow has a big and bad impact so I will be careful what I wish for next time.

Winter still holding on

The forecast for the coming week is a bit of a blast with snow. Fingers crossed!

Always knew that last week in March was a bit early. Wasn't expecting Dotterel or even Osprey but was hoping to get to the tops. Any local advice or tips do you reckon Findorn would be passable I guess not if the A9 is struggling.
Still two weeks to go lots can change Spring is just round the corner!

Always knew that last week in March was a bit early. Wasn't expecting Dotterel or even Osprey but was hoping to get to the tops. Any local advice or tips do you reckon Findorn would be passable I guess not if the A9 is struggling.
Still two weeks to go lots can change Spring is just round the corner!

Findhorn is okay. Farr road is deep under it.

Could change if its warms up.

At last the weather is picking up. At Loch Eye today birds singing in the woods included blackbird, robin, wren, great tit, treecreeper, siskin, crossbill and greenfinch. On the loch mute swan, teal, wigeon, tuftie, scaup, pochard, goldeneye, mallard, cormorant, coot and great crested grebe. with hundreds of pink feet and greylags in the fields at the north end of the loch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back