• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Highlands and Islands Thread (3 Viewers)

Amusing myself reading about it on twitter. Well if all highland ones are released and unringed escapes. Suppose need to wait on one around some ferry port or likes way down south.

Amusing myself reading about it on twitter. Well if all highland ones are released and unringed escapes. Suppose need to wait on one around some ferry port or likes way down south.

They've been seen around the Highlands regularly for over 40 years. Am pretty sure there are several genuine birds still around! I've come across numerous sightings and photos by hill walkers/non-birders that have never made the bird news networks....met a guy one day on the west coast who asked me to look at a photo on his camera....guess what it was! They just get reported more when they happen to hang out for a while near to one of the most well used mountain paths in the highlands up Ben Macdui or wander to lower ground in winter.

Last edited:
Cairngorm snowy any da y. Been ready to go twitching one a couple times only to find out getting chased about fields by owners

Great Northern Diver in Munlochy bay, big movement of geese headed (as the crow flies) headed out towards Moray Firth (If they fly a straight line!)

Spring has sprung!

VIDEO0256_0000017625.jpg

First Osprey of the year headed north over the A9 just now, Hen Harriers sky dancing this morning at a most unexpected location. Very, very nice to see.

Hi all. I'm toying with going to the Loch Garten Caper watch during the second week of May this year. I see on the website it gets going at 5:30. Is it advisable to get there before then? I'll be staying on Skye so plan on having a day in the Speyside area. Possibly heading up to Cairngorm for a guided walk at the same time.

Thanks all.

Rich

Hi all. I'm toying with going to the Loch Garten Caper watch during the second week of May this year. I see on the website it gets going at 5:30. Is it advisable to get there before then? I'll be staying on Skye so plan on having a day in the Speyside area. Possibly heading up to Cairngorm for a guided walk at the same time.

Thanks all.

Rich

I haven't been for several years but I was always surprised at how many cars were in the car park when I used to arrive about 5.15. My advice would be to get there as early as you can but it is a long drive from Sky. I leave Aviemore on the 6 May to drive to Sky and it is not a fast road. Best of luck with the Capers. Roger

Rich

Also stay late, I have been a couple of times when everyone left after getting a glimpse only for me to be the only one remaining when the birds showed really well, 2 males and 3 females one time about 5 years ago.

Ian

Summer plumage Black Throated Divers back on the Lochs.

Lovely display calling and flights around their potential nest areas. One Osprey back clearing their nest out.

Female Capercaillie seen far from the 'norm' today. Flew from a stand of trees down forest track back into cover. Was shocked to say the least.

Beautiful bird though.

Good sighting , these birds are mighty hard to connect with now , spent about 6hrs yesterday tramping round forest tracks to no avail. Well after lekking hours should add . Last year when out got ambushed by male caper late morning but no repeat. . Looks like back to caper watch to try in a couple weeks. Remember years ago these birds were a doddle to find . To be honest forests seemed dead yesterday 1 good view of Scottish cross bill and 1 flyover cross bill not even a crested tit .

50 + house and sand martin on River Ness. Black Throated Divers today showing well on Loch Ness just off the castle.

VIDEO0282_0000024053_2.jpg

Loch Shin has half dozen Black Throated Divers on. From the chip shop looking out, a pair on the smaller loch. Off the reservoirs parapet two more pairs.

Then to the bird hide this beautiful showy adult. Smashing day out.

Never, ever could get tired of these. Stunners.

VIDEO0276_0000004308_1_1.jpg

Sailing along, calling nicely to one another with the Loch Shin reservoir dam in the back ground.

As for where they nest and breed, hahahaha good luck with that. I had to get half a days worth of miles of Peatland underfoot before I even got within a mile of possible nesting sites.

No, Loch Shin is where they fish and gather before heading out else where.:t:

Last edited:
Fair enough. It's not exactly the biggest secret ever that they occur there, and I had forgotten quite how big a loch it is! I'll definitely agree they're stunning birds.

Fair enough. It's not exactly the biggest secret ever that they occur there, and I had forgotten quite how big a loch it is! I'll definitely agree they're stunning birds.

Yeah, absolute stunners. As for Loch Shin, it's a monster!

Beauty is, the birds fly in, fish, take the fish home. On the little Loch? They just paddle about like ducks, oblivious to people. Well worth a journey for that confiding view.

Any forum users aware of caper sightings at loch garten caper watch this year. Reading website only seem interested in ospreys

Users who are viewing this thread

Back