• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Highlands and Islands Thread (3 Viewers)

Chuffed to find my own lifer Bean Goose amongst the 2 or 3 thousand Pink Foots that descended upon Udale Bay on Sunday afternoon and even managed a decent pic too. 3 Pale bellied Brents were also in the bay. Along at Jemimaville further east were c300 Scaup the most i've ever seen here with previous counts around 1 to 200. A Kestrel feeding on a headstone over at the church was also a great moment to witness.

Attachments

• DSC_0122.JPG
    DSC_0122.JPG
    356.2 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC_0104.JPG
    DSC_0104.JPG
    391.3 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC_0111.JPG
    DSC_0111.JPG
    403 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC_0109.JPG
    DSC_0109.JPG
    364 KB · Views: 22
Found myself a wee Highland tick yesterday with the bonnie Redhead Smew on a loch south of Aviemore. Capped off a lovely day in Speyside with Black Grouse, Cresties, Crossbill, Dipper, Whoopers and all the other usual suspects.

Attachments

• DSC_0185.JPG
    DSC_0185.JPG
    385.3 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC_0174.JPG
    DSC_0174.JPG
    781 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC_0082.JPG
    DSC_0082.JPG
    404.6 KB · Views: 18
  • DSC_0086.JPG
    DSC_0086.JPG
    6.3 MB · Views: 25
Always an absolute thrill to see a Barn Owl and this was no different last night when i took a drive in the dead of night around Fort George and the carse of Ardersier. This was our only owl of the night sadly but it did not disappoint letting us enjoy it for a few minutes before ghosting off back into the night. Magic.

Attachments

• DSC_0006_Moment.jpg
    DSC_0006_Moment.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 11
Ardersier and Inverness wander
Just driven back down from Ardersier, in THE worst downpour for ages but, home and safe :)
Enjoyed an impromptu wander up the northern end of the Caledonian Canal yesterday 31st Oct, from the Jammie Piece to the north end and back. I'd never walked the canal at all so it was more of an explore on a beautiful, chilly day but, I spotted several (5/6) little Grebes on the canal, maybe Little Grebes but I couldn't confirm it although they certainly looked like it in the distance. Right at the northern end of the canal, where it joins the Beauly Firth a decent flock of Widgeon were patrolling the shore and flew off as we wandered by, don't you hate it when you didn't take the binoculars OR camera!? I'll definitely make a point of walking here again, better prepared next time and maybe walk the entire length towards Loch Ness.
A quick walk around Fort George shore this morning didn't produce much at all, the tide was heading out but plenty Cormorants, a few Guillemot and the usual gulls hanging around, plenty fish jumping though, Sea Trout?
I did, however, manage to grab a few iffy shots of a bird that shot by close to the shore and low on the water and it was only now, on the 'pooter that I think I see a Brent Goose, anyone like to confirm it for me?
20221101 - Brent goose passing Fort George.jpg

It was a solitary bird, no there geese seen on this walk. Six Eider did fly up the firth towards Inverness but my panning skills, hand held at 600mm really didn't make trying for a shot worth it. MUST carry the tripod more often.
Both great walks, the canal being a first for me and a bit of an eye opener.

Decided to scan the eastern ridges from the lower car park up the mountain this morning and boom! bagged myself a lifer Ptarmigan and not just one but two birds together feeding amongst the boulders. The first was pure snowy white and caught the eye as i scanned across with the scope. Got on it immediately and felt that excitement when you see your first of a new species. Then behind it coming mooching over the rocks was another bird this one was much more mottled and not pure white like the other. Perhaps half grey and half white. I watched them feed on the grassy areas always moving in and out behind the rocks before losing them completely and despite another 45mins scanning around I never seen them or any others again. Delighted to finally tick this top target of mine with the future aim to get closer views. It was a stunning day down in Speyside with perfect blue skies and a lovely crisp chill in the air. Love it.

not sure how far southwest this H and I area covers? can’t find an equivalent thread for Argyll. Anyway…….
we cycled Sustrans route 78 north, from Oban to FW on Weds 10th May. Living in southern England, I was particularly keen to hear Wood Warblers which have declined massively in our area.
In 49 miles cycling, we heard 8 singing Wood Warblers in total, including the first one near Taynuilt, 3 close together in Barcaldine forest near Loch Creran, and the final one just before Ballachulish bridge. (Good views of the last bird).
interestingly, didn’t hear a single one anywhere further north, between FW and Inverness, but Willow Warblers absolutely everywhere.
so is Wood Warbler more tied to the west coast deciduous woodlands?

Hi CWP you're fine in this one, or you could have posted in the Western Scotland one... no real rules on that LOL.

I heard and saw my first Wood Warbler in the Knapdale Forest (in the 2010's). Then a few years ago, pre-covid got one along the banks of Loch Rannoch. Have never heard one on the east side of the A9 though. Due to poor health the last few years, I've not been round the Aberfeldy area to listen for them. Maybe this year I'll try again, but will have to see.

What a wonderful trip you must have had up the coast there. Quite jealous.

Hi CWP you're fine in this one, or you could have posted in the Western Scotland one... no real rules on that LOL.

I heard and saw my first Wood Warbler in the Knapdale Forest (in the 2010's). Then a few years ago, pre-covid got one along the banks of Loch Rannoch. Have never heard one on the east side of the A9 though. Due to poor health the last few years, I've not been round the Aberfeldy area to listen for them. Maybe this year I'll try again, but will have to see.

What a wonderful trip you must have had up the coast there. Quite jealous.
We were very fortunate with the sunshine!

I'm up in Skye for the first week in June for a family holiday, based near Isleornsay does anyone have any sites that they enjoy in that part of the island?

I always enjoy the loop around the Sleat Peninsula by there Owen. Kev and I found Skye’s 1st Ring-necked Duck by there and we’ve had Goldies. I think the woods are good for Warblers at certain times of the year. Gordon’s book would give you some good ideas.

Rich

Last edited:
Lovely walk around the Fort George shore and onto the ranges this morning, nothing special to report although I witnessed my first Plover in plight display, thought I might be near a nest so cleared off. A Hooded Crow wandered along the surf line on the beach, towards me without a care in the world, which was nice. Lots of Linnet, Pipits a couple of Sedge Warbler and Warblers, mostly Willow. photos edited on my phone so who knows what they're really like 🤣
Out again later on the "green roadie" 👍BAS_0407.jpg
BAS_0654.jpg
Secretive Sedge Warbler.jpg
BAS_0231.jpgBAS_0196.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back