• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Kowa Genesis 33 the best kept secret in premium midsize binoculars. (1 Viewer)

Torview

The more time I spend with these the more impressed I am with them, I wish I`d purchased a pair years ago, I`m struggling to find a negative.

The size, weight, handling, view, build, all Alpha class IMHO.

I got my first piece of Kowa gear last year with a 773, and since then my admiration for the brand has grown.

If Kowa update the 44mm Genesis range I`ll be right at the front of the queue.

The Genesis series of binoculars are way better than their price suggests and they get so little appreciation. A binocular that is every bit as good as a Swarovski SLC for much less $$$$

They are Doug, what amazes me is that you have to compare them to binoculars at twice or more the price, its a long time since I tried a 32mm Conquest HD, or Trinovid HD, but from memory the Kowa performs to a higher level, I did own a 32mm Meostar B1, and for me they can`t quite equal the Genesis either.

They are Doug, what amazes me is that you have to compare them to binoculars at twice or more the price, its a long time since I tried a 32mm Conquest HD, or Trinovid HD, but from memory the Kowa performs to a higher level, I did own a 32mm Meostar B1, and for me they can`t quite equal the Genesis either.

I owned the Genesis 33, it might have been slightly better than my Meostar 8x32 B1.1 optically. Now looking back, if I had them side by side the optical differences would have been so slight to my eyes it would have been the easier eye placement of the 8x32 Meostar B1.1 for me to choose the Meostar over the Kowa. Physically if I were a hunter or handling either of the two in an extreme environment outside viewing any kind of wildlife I think that the Meostar would hold up better. I really liked the Kowa, if it had just a few more mm of eye relief I would have kept them. Last summer I compared the view of the Kowa Genesis 8x33 to the Leica 8x32 Ultravid HD, to my eyes they were optically equal.

I owned the Genesis 33, it might have been slightly better than my Meostar 8x32 B1.1 optically. Now looking back, if I had them side by side the optical differences would have been so slight to my eyes it would have been the easier eye placement of the 8x32 Meostar B1.1 for me to choose the Meostar over the Kowa. Physically if I were a hunter or handling either of the two in an extreme environment outside viewing any kind of wildlife I think that the Meostar would hold up better. I really liked the Kowa, if it had just a few more mm of eye relief I would have kept them. Last summer I compared the view of the Kowa Genesis 8x33 to the Leica 8x32 Ultravid HD, to my eyes they were optically equal.

I don`t wear glasses so eye relief is rarely a problem for me. I liked the optical prowess of the Meostar generally, but I had to hold the eye cups well away from my eye sockets to avoid blackouts and I found this very tiresome. Also I found the stray light control wanting on the Meopta.

I guess to summarise, the Kowa may be at the bottom of the Alpha 32mm league, but I do believe it to be very much in that league rather than the league below, and at the price I find that extraordinary.

John.

Optics aside, I find the 33mm Genesis to be one of the more attractive binoculars on the market. Not that it matters much when you are using them.

I was always concerned with ER on the 8x33, based on other comments, but the 8.5x44 was a real gem and my one true 'seller's remorse' pair of binoculars.

I was always concerned with ER on the 8x33, based on other comments, but the 8.5x44 was a real gem and my one true 'seller's remorse' pair of binoculars.

I`m unsure if I`v tried the 44mm models, but the 10.5x44 sounds interesting for use at the coast or estuaries for more distant Birds.

If Kowa update the 44mm Genesis range I`ll be right at the front of the queue.
In what respect do the current 44s lag behind the 33s?

Could an owner confirm which direction the Kowa focuser rotates to infinity, whether it's knurled metal as it appears, and whether its action is relatively quick or slow? Thanks.

Last edited:
Could an owner confirm which direction the Kowa focuser rotates to infinity, whether it's knurled metal as it appears, and whether its action is relatively quick or slow? Thanks.

Yes, the Genesis 33 focuser is metal.
Focusing from close to infinity goes clockwise.
The focusing action is relatively fast, about 250 degrees turn from 2m to infinity on my sample.

Canip

Yes, the Genesis 33 focuser is metal.
Focusing from close to infinity goes clockwise.
The focusing action is relatively fast, about 250 degrees turn from 2m to infinity on my sample.

Canip

Looking at my records, the focus speed of Kowa 8x33 is:

A bit faster than a Leica Ultravid HD 8x32 and a bit slower than a Leica Trinovid HD 8x32, and a little slower than a Zeiss FL 8x32 and significantly slower than a Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32.

Lee

Looking at my records, the focus speed of Kowa 8x33 is:

A bit faster than a Leica Ultravid HD 8x32 and a bit slower than a Leica Trinovid HD 8x32, and a little slower than a Zeiss FL 8x32 and significantly slower than a Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32.

Lee

Tks Lee.

What is in your terminology the difference between "a bit" and "a little" ?

There is obviously a little bit of a difference between the two.
Just for clarification ;)

Canip

Last edited:
Tks Lee.

What is in your terminology the difference between "a bit" and "a little" ?

There is obviously a little bit of a difference between the two.
Just for clarification ;)

Canip

Its a fair question and if I had had more time this morning I would have posted like this:

Amount of rotation of focus wheel to refocus from subject 4km / 2.5miles away to another subject 2m/6ft away:

Kowa Genesis 8x33 0.75 turns approx
Leica Ultravid HD 8x32 0.85 turns approx
Leica Trinovid HD 8x32 0.70 turns approx
Zeiss FL 8x32 0.65 turns approx
Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32 0.50 turns approx.

Howzat?

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back