• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Kowa Genesis 33 the best kept secret in premium midsize binoculars. (1 Viewer)

Loving my Genesis 8x33s. They fit my face perfectly and are sharp and bright. The sweet spot is plenty big for me and I cannot induce rolling ball. The size is perfect and they are plenty bright for my needs. Finally found an affordable mid size binocular that suits me well. Not for everyone evidently but I sure like them.

With no desire to be argumentative, and in the interest of discussion are we to judge the 8x32 Victory fl as no longer an Alpha ?, its edges are significantly less sharp than the Genesis for me.

So the Kowa Genesis is better than the Victory T FL 32s at the edges?

I've been keen on the Victory's for a while now; I'm looking for a compact bin alongside my x10s. I hadn't seriously considered Kowa even though I own a TSN-883 which is great.

Hi aucarius,

Roger Vine has reviewed both the Kowa Genesis 8x33 and the Zeiss FL 8x32, see at: http://www.scopeviews.co.uk/BinoReviews.htm
And in the Kowa review he directly compared the two

His observation as to the edges, is the same as that of Torview - though he noted that the Zeiss has a larger sweet spot
See the attached copy of the summary

John

Also a comparative image from Roger

Attachments

• Genesis vs FL.jpg
    Genesis vs FL.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 107
  • Kowa verses Zeiss.jpg
    Kowa verses Zeiss.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Great, thank you, John. I wasn't aware of these reviews before, very helpful.
I'll have to keep an eye on the price of the Kowas, which are still available new versus only second hand Victorys.

So the Kowa Genesis is better than the Victory T FL 32s at the edges?

The Genesis has a somewhat odd distortion profile that has been discussed by many. It attempt to correct distortion and curvature across the field, whereas the Zeiss has a more “classic” profile with more pincushion and edge blur.

BUT the Genesis distortion correction creates a weird phenomenon where it has a ring of reduced sharpness about 2/3 of the way out as it transitions from slight pincushion in the middle to straighter lines at the edge. Outside of the “blurry ring” it actually gets a bit sharper. This ironically produces that situation where it has both a smaller “true” sweet spot while also having shaper edges than a more classic design like the Zeiss. The transition of the distortion also creates a bit of “rolling ball” effect as objects become somewhat compressed at the edges.

This isn’t a criticism per se, just a different way of doing things. The sweet spot doesn’t “feel” small when you are focused on stuff in the middle, but if you start examining the off axis distortion it’s fairly obvious. On the plus side it has phenomenal color neutrality and CA control, and it is very bright and clear and very comfortable to hold.

This spring Kowa was running a promo on the 33s for $799. When it ended Doug at Cameraland said they had bought extra stock and would give forum members that price still. Not sure if that’s still the case but it would be worth a call.

Roger Vine has reviewed both the Kowa Genesis 8x33 and the Zeiss FL 8x32, see at: http://www.scopeviews.co.uk/BinoReviews.htm
And in the Kowa review he directly compared the two

His observation as to the edges, is the same as that of Torview - though he noted that the Zeiss has a larger sweet spot
See the attached copy of the summary
Thanks to your and eitanaltman's comments, I purchased a pair of 8x33 Genesis from an auction site and am very pleased with them. Although obviously not quite as bright and sharp as my Zeiss 42s (why would they be), they are not far off and their compact size and weight mean I can tuck them into a (large) pocket and wear them comfortably for much longer, which is great when I'm lugging my 'scope or camera.
Thanks again for the informed feedback.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back