• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Ladybird thread (4 Viewers)

They're quite common nowadays: especially at light traps. they are one of the few ladybirds regularly flying at night.

This is the first time I've looked in this thread, I'll need to have a good troll through it!

Anyway, the other morning while checking my moth trap I noticed a tiny Ladybird, did some research and Id'd it as an Orange Ladybird - a first for me...:t:

Can anyone help ID this unusual ladybird?
At first glance I thought it was either an Eyed or cream spotted ladybird but the black rings around cream spots tend to lead away from both species.
Any help greatly appreciated.
I must have missed this one when it first appeared. Yes, looks to be Calvia quattuordecimguttata, creram-spotted ladybird but very unusual to see with those rings around it. Perhaps not coincidentally, last year there were two or three reports of very darkly pigmented individuals - i.e. the brown patches were very dark, virtually black. This is a common form in North America but i'd never seen it before in UK.
Perhaps this specimen had a lower dose of the same gene?

UK ladybird distribution

Someone was asking about distribution of ladybirds in UK.
A distributional atlas of the British Coccinellidae should be published this year (if we're luck) - watch this space!

Hi Everyone

Is the attached a Halyzia 16-guttata or a Calvia 14-guttata or something else? Photo taken in March, Northern Italian Alps under Sweet Chestnut.

O

Attachments

• Halyzia 16-guttata (RB).jpg
    Halyzia 16-guttata (RB).jpg
    130 KB · Views: 80
Odonate.

It looks Ok for Cream-spot Calvia 14-guttata to me, but I have no experience of / or ID guides for,the rest of Europe, so as I know that there are more species on the continent than we get in the UK, I can`t be certain. It`s not an Orange Halyzia 16-guttata though.

Keith

Agreed.
There is Calvia decemguttata elsewhere in Europe, which, as its name suggests, has ten pale patches. However, it's quite rare.

Odonate.

It looks Ok for Cream-spot Calvia 14-guttata to me, but I have no experience of / or ID guides for,the rest of Europe, so as I know that there are more species on the continent than we get in the UK, I can`t be certain. It`s not an Orange Halyzia 16-guttata though.

Keith

Can someone please confirm if this is Adalia 10-punctata f. decempustulatus?

It was photographed in a stream valley in Bulgaria's Rodopi Mountains at 1200m.

Attachments

• Adalia 10-punctata.jpg
    Adalia 10-punctata.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 90
How about a melanistic (?) 14-spotted Ladybird? Found this one at Keyhaven a few years back. I think its pretty unique.

Plus a couple of unusual Harlequins I found just before I moved to Canada.

Attachments

• greeny 14 spotted.JPG
    greeny 14 spotted.JPG
    12.4 KB · Views: 126
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 116
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
7-spot today in Norfolk, UK

Coccinella 7-punctata in Wells Woods, north Norfolk, this afternoon. Sunny and warm, out of the wind.

Surely this isn't the first of the year for the UK ?

Attachments

• 018sm.jpg
    018sm.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 115
Coccinella 7-punctata in Wells Woods, north Norfolk, this afternoon. Sunny and warm, out of the wind.

Surely this isn't the first of the year for the UK ?

Snap!! Found on Saturday (12th) in the West Midlands. Sunbathing in the warm sunshine.

Attachments

• P1120245 [].JPG
    P1120245 [].JPG
    101.7 KB · Views: 97
New to this thread but not the Forums.

Two black ladybirds, each with 4 large red spots, 1 orange ladybird with 5-6 small black spots, 1 red ladybird with about a dozen medium sized black spots. All in my Kent conservatory. IDs please? Is thee a beginner's guide to ladybirds?

Thanks

Pat

New to this thread but not the Forums.

Two black ladybirds, each with 4 large red spots, 1 orange ladybird with 5-6 small black spots, 1 red ladybird with about a dozen medium sized black spots. All in my Kent conservatory. IDs please? Is thee a beginner's guide to ladybirds?

Thanks

Pat

It's possible all your ladybirds could be the same species- they may all be Harlequins. If you can post any photos we can confirm or otherwise the IDs.

The Field Studies Council does a good laminated sheet showing most of the UK ladybirds, just not covering some of the tiniest species.

Though not an ID guide Roger Hawkins " The Ladybirds of Surrey" is an excellent book that covers most species with some good photos. Ironically doesn't include the Harlequin because it wasn't established when the book was published, but is now an abundant insect in the county!

I saw my first ladybird of the year this week. I can't tell you how many spots it had I saw it on a blind but decided to leave it alone on Monday saw it on the floor so got it on my finger and opened the door but it flew off so no idea if it's still in the house or flew out.

My brother found a 2-Spot Ladybird in his house. may well be first reported from Co. Wicklow. The same house that the Republic of Ireland's first Harlequin ladybird was found last November.

Attachments

• 2spotlb.jpg
    2spotlb.jpg
    233.3 KB · Views: 95

Users who are viewing this thread

Back