• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Ladybird thread (3 Viewers)

Well done - did you find it 'wintering' in a reed stem?
I found it in a rush (Juncus) tussock by shaking the tussock into a sweep net. I found several Spotted Marsh Ladybirds in nearby reeds last year, but no Red Marsh Ladybirds. This one was in different (though adjacent) habitat.

Visited a cemetery in west London where Mottled Shieldbug had been reported ( a recent colonist I haven't connected with yet). No joy but good to see c300 overwintering Orange Ladybirds with singles of 7-spot & Harlequin-mostly on the graves but a few on undersides of a tree's low branches.

Visited a cemetery in west London where Mottled Shieldbug had been reported ( a recent colonist I haven't connected with yet). No joy but good to see c300 overwintering Orange Ladybirds with singles of 7-spot & Harlequin-mostly on the graves but a few on undersides of a tree's low branches.
Nice. I found my first Orange Ladybirds of the year a few days ago. 7 of them in ivy on a sycamore trunk. My yearlist's on 14 now, all "on patch", with 2 additional spp seen by another observer (aka fellow nerd 😆).

10-spot in at #19 for year. Found while searching Ivy at the site in Bristol where I've just discovered that Horseshoe Ladybird was found in 2018. No joy with the biggie though.

10-spot in at #19 for year. Found while searching Ivy at the site in Bristol where I've just discovered that Horseshoe Ladybird was found in 2018. No joy with the biggie though.
Still mainly orange and 7-spot here. I've found some larches but they're on a BT Openreach site and I'm not sure I dare 'sample' the trees.

Still mainly orange and 7-spot here. I've found some larches but they're on a BT Openreach site and I'm not sure I dare 'sample' the trees.
Very few larches on patch for me, but I did find a couple with reaches branches the other day. Waiting for them to get needles before I give them a go. Still need Larch Ladybird.

So do I ... along with a whole stack of others.
What is your tecnique for finding marsh ladybirds? Sweeping reeds requires a wet-suit, or at least waders, round here!
At this time of year try looking in the tops of broken reed stems. That's where we found Spotted Marsh and Water Ladybirds recently. Luckily we found some straight away, as this method is quite destructive and then not easy to put the ladybirds back somewhere similar.

In the warm months I was finding both these species in reeds quite easily just by visual search. Scanning with bins can be good.

On my patch I haven't found any Red Marsh Ladybirds in the reeds, even in the summer. They've been found wintering in tussocks of rush and also tussocks of grass near the water's edge. This is tough habitat to check, but I originally found them by bending rush tussocks into the net and shaking the tussock. You can also do this by sawing through a tussock near the base and shaking the contents over a sieve, but that damages the tussock even if you replace it. At least the bugs can then be put in a different tussock.

At this time of year try looking in the tops of broken reed stems. That's where we found Spotted Marsh and Water Ladybirds recently. Luckily we found some straight away, as this method is quite destructive and then not easy to put the ladybirds back somewhere similar.

In the warm months I was finding both these species in reeds quite easily just by visual search. Scanning with bins can be good.

On my patch I haven't found any Red Marsh Ladybirds in the reeds, even in the summer. They've been found wintering in tussocks of rush and also tussocks of grass near the water's edge. This is tough habitat to check, but I originally found them by bending rush tussocks into the net and shaking the tussock. You can also do this by sawing through a tussock near the base and shaking the contents over a sieve, but that damages the tussock even if you replace it. At least the bugs can then be put in a different tussock.
Thanks - you're a veritable oracle!

At lunchtime today I couldn't resist prising apart the tops of a couple of broken reed stems on the patch 😁. First two were empty, third had a spider, and 4th time lucky... 2 Spotted Marsh Ladybirds together. It was a bit fiddly but I managed to rehouse them together in another broken stem.

There must be heaps of them to have that kind of hit rate. If anyone's struggling to find this species I thoroughly recommend Duchess Pond in Stoke Park in Bristol 🙂

I tried some Typha but all I found was a small larva, possibly of a moth. I'll try again tomorrow.
I spent a fair while yesterday looking at broken reeds in two different spots. I must have taken apart about 30 stalks but didn't find any ladybirds (although I did find a very colourful spider). The reedbeds are only about four years old so I might try a longer-estblished one next although it will involve a bit of a drive.

I spent a fair while yesterday looking at broken reeds in two different spots. I must have taken apart about 30 stalks but didn't find any ladybirds (although I did find a very colourful spider). The reedbeds are only about four years old so I might try a longer-estblished one next although it will involve a bit of a drive.
Any photos of the spider?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back