• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The little things in life (1 Viewer)

In my post I mentioned that we get a mother and three babies visiting. Turns out we get 2 mothers each with three babies visiting. All 8 were here together tonight. Here's one mum and her brood:

showphoto.php

Neil

Last edited:
(Maybe unfair, but that's the impression some people have of Salford, including my parents who live in that area)

pduxon said:

So how many types of Birds visit ??

visit where? Salford? ;) I've no idea.

Salford is a fine town. My Gran lived in Swinton for over thirty years.

This reminds me of a story of how ignorant some people can be with their perceived image of a place.

Several years ago my mum and dad had gone down to the south of this (still) beautiful country with my mum's mother (said Gran) and her sister. Upon visiting a garden (which they liked to do) they got talking to presumebly the owner of house and grounds.
When asked where they had come from my Auntie Phyllis had said Worsley, just outside of Manchester.
The lady who had enquired then unbelivebly replied "Oh how dreadful"
I think that they were just so stunned by her ignorant remark that they didn't reply as she strolled away from them after delivering her broadside. She had probably never even been there.
Needless to say my Auntie Phyllis, who was one of the sweetest of women you could ever meet could have swung for her. Apparently she kept mentioning this all through their holiday so it must have really griped her.

Last edited:
Steve, don't get me wrong, I was brought up there. (Used to go out in Swinton when I was a punk)! My parents live just up the road from Worsley in a place called Winton. I think we'll have to agree to disagree though on the point that Salford is a fine town, I left in '87 and would never go back.

I think the problem is, is that people who don't know the area perceive it to be a "slum" all over. In fact Worsley is a lovely area. I lived in Monton which is also a nice place with lots of individual shops etc., where everyone knows everyone. But Salford centre does leave a lot to be desired!

Regards
H

Pete

1. Goldfinches
2. Chaffinches
3. Greenfinches
4. Sparrows (only one pair)
5. Dunnocks
6. Robins
7. Grey Wagtail (in winter)
8. Long-tailed tits
9. Bluetits
10. Great tits
11. Collared Doves
12. Wood pigeons
13. Starlings
14. Blackbirds
15. Songthrush or mistlethrush (I'm not sure)
16. Sparrowhawk - does that count?
17. Redkite - once - does that count?
18. Barnowl - occasionally
19. Swifts - in the eaves ) - not strictly the garden
20. Wren
21. Blackcaps (in winter)
22. Goldcrest (in winter)
23. Magpies

er...that's it.

H

Grey Wag?? Do you mean Pied??

Blackcap in winter ??

Impressive list. The only one I've had you haven't is a lone Jay!

Nope, absolutely a grey wagtail, with the yellow tail etc. He was here from around November through until early March, in fact we had a guy come and price up a job for us when it flew down into the garden, he was well impressed as he enjoyed watching birds too.

Blackcaps, I had 6 of them (3 males 3 females), if fact I contacted a guy at some university who is/was doing a study of them. He was interested in what they were feeding on (grated cheese was their favourite).

Maybe it was just beginners luck?

H

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back