• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Natural History Of Staffordshire: Fauna and Flora (1 Viewer)

Beetle

Found this while doing my Barn Owl survey a couple of days ago. Anyone know what it is?

Hi Neil,
Send pictures to Craig Slawson at Staffodshire Wildlife Trust, you should get his details from the Staffs ecologiacl Records website. Some Beetles can be identified by photo and some cannot. Regards, John

Hundreds of 5-spot burnet moths on the wing today, even earlier on before that warm glowing orb appeared in the sky. Also about 1/2 a dozen meadow browns at the top of Goldenhill Golf Course, and a large skipper too.

Also noticed rose-bay willowherb just coming into flower.

Has anyone else noticed how well cleavers (sticky-buds if you had a proper childhood) seem to be doing this year? It's 'chocking' the hedgerows down by Packmoor, with it growing 8-9ft tall in some places!!

Adam

I know what you mean Ian - none in the garden since the hot spell in March-April! But they're out and about on suitable habitat - must be a few brownfield sites down your way surely??

Butterflies!? What are they? It must be nicer 'up north'...its so wet down here I can't remember the last butterfly I saw...:C

I agree, lots of meadow browns over on mossfield landfill, also small skippers,small heaths, common blues, hundreds of five spot burnets, plenty of mother shipton and latticed heaths, also had a barred umber, i inted to get a portable moth trap for over there next year.
fugi0007001.jpg

Gave a guided walk at Coombes today looking at butterflies and moths.
Plenty of meadow browns about, small skipper, ringlet, speckled wood and small copper. Also a narrow bordered 5 spotted burnet moth. One of our meadows (not on the visitor trails) has literally hundreds of common spotted orchids; after having very few in previous years. Another example of the work, well, working.

Best thing of the day though was a dragonfly emerging in the dipping pond. Obviously they are tricky to ID as they lack their usual colouration, but looked like an emperor to me. It had literally just emerged as we got there and we sat for about 15 mins watching as it pumped its wings out. Truly amazing, anyone who has never seen this happen really should.

Adam

A few new moth from this weeks trapping in the yard, brown-line bright-eye, bramble shoot, silver y, garden pebble, large yellow underwing, bernished brass, and a smoky wainscote.
Stu

I know what you mean Ian - none in the garden since the hot spell in March-April! But they're out and about on suitable habitat - must be a few brownfield sites down your way surely??

Yeh plenty of brownfield sites but must admit I haven't been out on the butterfly hunt this summer - had Ringlet in garden yesterday and today - along with Speckled Wood the only two species I've had in the garden this month!

Last edited:
new moth for Keele

After all these years I don't often get a new moth at Keele - at least a macro - but had a Beautiful Snout today! It's usually associated with Oak woods that have a bilberry understory but they must wander some distance too. The nearest habitat to here is Hanchurch. I know that Nick has had one in Stoke in the past. Had a new micro too Epinotia rubiginosa which is a pinewood species.

Dave

20 7 2012 This Friday weather dependent ( Moth Evening ) A great opportunity to see some of these fascinating flying creatures at close quarters. The moth traps will be outside, so please bring warm clothing and a torch. Event starts at 9pm and will last for approximately two hours.
Location Park Hall Country Park
Address visitor center Hulme Road, Weston Coyney, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire,
ST3 5BH cheers col

After all these years I don't often get a new moth at Keele - at least a macro - but had a Beautiful Snout today! It's usually associated with Oak woods that have a bilberry understory but they must wander some distance too. The nearest habitat to here is Hanchurch. I know that Nick has had one in Stoke in the past. Had a new micro too Epinotia rubiginosa which is a pinewood species.

Dave

Had a Blackneck today so things are looking up at last.

And, not that I keep lists at all ;), I have reached my 1001 species of UK plant! Onward and upward!

Dave

A great night up at Parkhall last night with the moth traps i think most people enjoyed there selves except the girl guides who were screaming there heads off lol .A big thank you to Dave Grundy for is expertise . cheers col

Brown hawker and male emperor dragonflies on don bur pool this morning.
Good morning for butterflies on the landfill also moths ect
Stu
21-7-2012013.jpg

21-7-2012012.jpg

21-7-2012008.jpg

21-7-2012009.jpg

21-7-2012002.jpg

Last edited:
moth trap last night
3 poplar hawk moths
yellow shell
swallow tail x4
common footman x2
light emerald x1
common emerald x2
white satin
v pug
poplar grey
buff ermine

93 moths 28 species of macro

Attachments

• DSC08544.jpg
    DSC08544.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Moth trap last night had 186 individuals from 40 species. On Saturday my girlfriend got 275 individuals from 50 species, shows what a difference living in good habitat makes. Highlights from last nights trap.

Cinnabar 2
Scallop shell 2
Swallowtail 5
Poplar grey 1
Clouded border 2
Scalloped oak 1
Gothic 1
True lovers knot 1
Ghost moth 1
Plain golden-y 3
Beautiful golden-y 1
Burnished brass 1

Scallop shell is a beaut of a moth. Saw my first one last year at Ynys-hir, so 2 in the garden were a proper treat, see photo attached.

Also had a cheeky juv robin in the garden this morning. It was making light work of the moths when I arrived at the trap at 5:30. It also sat just a few feet away and 'fly-catched' any escaping moths as I ID'd them, little bugger.

Adam

Attachments

• IMG_8938 [800x600].jpg
    IMG_8938 [800x600].jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back